Uwe Beis AD DA converter feedback

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steppenwolf

Hi folks!

Just wanted to post my experience with those converters.
I ordered the kits from Uwe and I got them promptly. Sadly, he ran out of flagship AD converters, but he decreased the price for the AD converter by 20€ so I could buy it from farnell for the same price.
I ordered 1x AD and 1xDA, flagship chipset, balanced ins and outs at +4dBU Studio level and AES-3 input on the DA and output on the AD.
I took me about 4 hours to build the DA and another 4 hours for the AD.
Everything fit, not one missing part or wrong value and everything was organized, so I took much less time to organize the components. The resistor leads are cut and prebent, it's a breeze;-)
After assembly, I immediately connected the DA through optical toslink with my computer and listened to music. It's stunning, I'm not that pro you know, but the music is simply clean and so clear and transparent. The stereo spectrum is enhanced, I noticed things on the music I didn't hear before.
On thing I noticed:
When listening to MP3 audio, the artifacts annoy me, much more than before, you can actually hear the smearing highs and week lows...

I can't say much about the AD converter, as I will use it, when I get my clock by Tentlabs, as I want to synchronize several AD units in one box.
I just wanted to upgrade a clock to lower jitter, well below 3ps, but I bet the build in clock by Uwe is working perfectly, too.

Uwe is a nice guy and really really knows his stuff. He is an electronics engineer.
Not one negative aspect up to now.

My conclusion:
Highly recommended!!

http://beis.de/Elektronik/ADDA24QS/ADDA24QS.html

Regards,
Stefan

Hi!

No, not yet, I'm still waiting for the box to put it in, thn I'll do some measuring...You can find some measuring on his site.
According to them, noise floor should be below -110dB

I know very well his page and his forum too. I just want to know how the construction affect the noise floor.

a CMRR test would be cool too if you built the balanced input.

Latest posts

Back