Vacuum Tube Valley Mag

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alexc

thanks!  stuck the link in the VTV drawing room thread,

those dumpster articles by Eric Barbour become more important as we chew up NOS tubes,

went to buy  a 12AY7/6072 on evilbay the other day, 100 bucks, horror of horrors!

the best Fender and LA2a preamp tube is semi out of reach, reasonable good deals at KCA Tubes

CJ said:
thanks!  stuck the link in the VTV drawing room thread,

those dumpster articles by Eric Barbour become more important as we chew up NOS tubes,

went to buy  a 12AY7/6072 on evilbay the other day, 100 bucks, horror of horrors!

the best Fender and LA2a preamp tube is semi out of reach, reasonable good deals at KCA Tubes

? The EHX is like $16 and sounds awesome to me in V1. What's wrong with it?

Nothing at all wrong with the eh ay7 type :)  I use them as the first stage in all my guitar amp builds!

I'm just now buying my first nos usa 6072, so I'll try to 'hear the difference'.

Up till now, the only real sonic differences I hear in usa nos vs current production russian (no sino tubes please!) is with ax7 types AND the 6L6 types that were in an amp  I picked up long time ago.

Hence going to eh ay7, an altogether more satisfactory tube imho than even the rca ax7.

I guess that using a lot of the uncommon usa nos types in my limiter builds has opened my ears to the possibilities of tube rolling  the grand old classics, so now have been buying  some  sn7, sl7, sq7 as well as 6v6, 6bq5.

When all is said and done, it is getting around 50 aud for me for a' modest level' classic tube at present.

Next up are some nos usa 6l6 and  el34 types, to compare with current production tungsol that I mostly use.

Then to return for the 'big finale' finals, the wacky power triode types  :)

YOU only live once and the ears aren't getting any younger, so spend, spend, nos!

So VTV is #1 fav read for those afflicted with 'tube lust' - broadens one's general knowledge of tube substitutions and redirects ones passions to less expensive off the beaten track types.

The only real problem is the piles of large, heavy, hot, old style audio boxes all over the place.  :eek:

Latest posts

Back