Vca power question

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAY X

Hi All!

1. I plan to use THAT vcas for a stereo compressor. This vca uses a 5k1 resistor in the  negative power rail.

1A. ¿Is it ok to use only one 5k1 resistor to power 2 vca?

And a strange question:

2.  In stereo audio opamp circuits, (mixers, eq, etc) given the use of 1% resistors, and equal level stereo test signal,

2A. ¿What is the maximum gain mismatch you have ever find between output channels L&R? 

2B. ¿Is it common to use trimmers  to match the gain of stereo fader amplifiers?

In my case i found 1dbu mismatch between L and R channels, and I placed a low value resistor in the higher level channel to match the other channel level to within  0.5dbu maximum. That solved the problem, but you don't know how louder will be a channel with respect to another, until you apply a stereo test signal.

¡Thank you for your advise!
Jay x.

JAY X said:
Hi All!

1. I plan to use THAT vcas for a stereo compressor. This vca uses a 5k1 resistor in the  negative power rail.

1A. ¿Is it ok to use only one 5k1 resistor to power 2 vca?
I wouldn't
And a strange question:

2.  In stereo audio opamp circuits, (mixers, eq, etc) given the use of 1% resistors, and equal level stereo test signal,

2A. ¿What is the maximum gain mismatch you have ever find between output channels L&R? 
with 1% resistors you can do the math.
2B. ¿Is it common to use trimmers  to match the gain of stereo fader amplifiers?
no

JR
In my case i found 1dbu mismatch between L and R channels, and I placed a low value resistor in the higher level channel to match the other channel level to within  0.5dbu maximum. That solved the problem, but you don't know how louder will be a channel with respect to another, until you apply a stereo test signal.

¡Thank you for your advise!
Jay x.

Hi John!

Finally, It is all about  the stereo test Signal. Got rid of the
compensation resistor, and
I run a new signal test:

Input levels:
L: 0.848v. R: 0.841v

Gain set at half.

Output levels:
L: 0.414v R: 0.418v

Now It makes more sense.