Vintage Altec tube preamp

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello, I agree with Ian, but by the looks of things they are already upgraded or looked at, modern Neutrik XLR chassis sockets. And I think the heather supply works :)

DJN

Guessing that’s a 1410 or 1510 line amp. Hi-Z in, high level low-Z out. Meant to go with 1412/1512 preamp modules for a modular system.

Preserving this for historic reasons. Apparently, this was custom-built and sold on eBay. Built by whom I don't know. It was given to me by a friend whom I cannot currently reach for more info. I am not selling this. The full ad text from the original seller is here:
Here is something you just don't see. This is the complete Altec 1440 series Tube channel with all three pieces together-the 1440 2-channel Mic Preamp, 1410 Line/Summing Output Amplifier, and 30A power supply.

In our Custom Shop we have taken all 3 of these pieces and from the ground up created, built, fabricated, and machined all of the metal and chassis work it took to house, and mount these components. We also finished the front panels for both units in the original Altec Metallic Grey, detailed with original Altec lettering, logo and graphics. All of which were then covered in several hand-rubbed coats of clear to give a dazzling "Under Glass" look, and protective sheen.

As you can see in the photos, the audio section and power supply are separated into two separate rack mount units. They connect via one Cannon 9 pin Multi Pin Twist-Lock connector, so that the power supply can be mounted away from the audio (very important). Very neat and tidy.Extensive recapping was done to each unit, most of which is visible in the pics. As well the multi-value metal canisters were replaced (one per unit), with NOS period correct canisters. Every piece has been gone over and are all up to tip-top plug and play studio ready.

CONFIGURATION:Originally these were set-up to work as 2 Mic Pre's which sum together thru the Line/Summing-Amp. We have left that intact, but have allowed each MicPre to have it's own direct out, so they can be used as two separate channels. Each Mic Pre has it's own Peerless 4611 Transformer and tube amplifiersection which provide enough gain to drive an independent output. As well we have added switchable Phantom Power for each channel.

The 1410 Amplifier section is equipped with a Peerless 1520 Output Transformer, and has more gain than you could possibly ever need! As well the1410 provides a separate Line Input (with it's own level control) which is unbalanced Hi-Z. So there are a total of 2 Mic Pre's and one Hi-Z Line Input.

As for the sound.....For those of you who have experience using early Altec Tube gear, you know what it is that makes their early designs so desirable.

However, the 1440/1410 series is a clear evolutionary leap above even the most well known Altec Tube Pre's. To my ears this is without question the best of what they came up with for the Tube Mic Pre configuration. The sound is BIG, WIDE, OPEN, with all of the dense, thick lo-end, and sweet top-end presence you could ask for. Having multiple stages of gain allows you to overdrive and push the "Harmonics Limit" in all kinds of creative ways. This is a serious piece of recording heritage, and equipment.

In all my years of working with early Altec Tube Gear, I have never seen a compete set of these come up for sale. In fact, very few of the individual pieces ever come up for auction. Last year a pair of the Line Output Amplifiers (1410's) came up for sale, unmounted, unracked, and untested. That pair sold for $2,700. I'm asking a little more than that for the complete set, custom racked, studio ready (the black mounting rack rail holding these pieces up is only for display and not included).

If you live in a country or region that we don't ship to, and you have a really good history we can make an exemption to allow you to bid. Please contact me, and I'll try and get you included.

Good Luck, and thanks for lookingInternational buyers are required to pay all duties tariffs and taxes. In regions which are known to be suspect or where USPS can not deliver with a Delivery, or Signature confirmation we will only ship by known carrier, FedEx, UPS etc. Please check if you are not sure of your country or areas status . We will not refund after sale or after the fact if you find out the shipping was more expensive than you had thought.

Check old catalogs for more information, google search found description of 1510 line amp:
https://funkwerkes.com/web/wp-content/techdocs/Altec_Lansing/Altec-58.pdf12AY7 dual triode is currently made by several companies, 5879 pentode can be had NOS at pretty low prices. Many shops in US will have tubes for Altec gear.
I ask reputable sellers for testing, matched tubes are normally needed for stereo or push pull circuits, not much else.

Preserving this for historic reasons. Apparently, this was custom-built and sold on eBay. Built by whom I don't know. It was given to me by a friend whom I cannot currently reach for more info. I am not selling this. The full ad text from the original seller is here:
[It was given to me by a friend] -- Be sure to give this friend of yours who gave you this ALTEC gear a couple cases of beer for being so kind as to give you something so rare and unique!!! MAN!!! You're a LUCKY DUDE!!!

[This is a 1440/1410]
-- Did your friend also happen to bequeath you any manuals and/or schematics of this gear? If so, please send me a good and clear copy, as they would be rather interesting to analyze.

/

[It was given to me by a friend] -- Be sure to give this friend of yours who gave you this ALTEC gear a couple cases of beer for being so kind as to give you something so rare and unique!!! MAN!!! You're a LUCKY DUDE!!!

[This is a 1440/1410]
-- Did your friend also happen to bequeath you any manuals and/or schematics of this gear? If so, please send me a good and clear copy, as they would be rather interesting to analyze.

/
All I have are some boxes of tubes with the sender/receiver who are not my friend. I have no schematic or manuals. I did find the original ad on eBay posted here so that may lead to something. I'm not sure this link was allowed. www(dot)worthpoint(dot)com/worthopedia/altec-1440-1410-tube-mic-pres-1845070233

I tried out the valves on my kick drums. Nice fat sound with my 24" and 26" bass drums.

The 1410 output, however, sounds distorted and attenuated to the point of being almost nonexistent. So there may be a problem there.

Latest posts

Back