Vintage Organ Combo Power Supply Question

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zaraxisof

Hi folks,  i ve found  a used  late 60's organ combo for fair price, the model is Elka Panther/Capri Duo transistor organ (similar to Doric organs).  Situation is that seller says that  he sent it to a technician for typical things like cleaning/lubricating etc. and that he only changed the power cord from US to Europe (i live in Europe) because the organ was given to him by an Americal musician. 
My wondering is, if it had US plug cord it may also had a US  PTrasnfo 110V-60hz right? Or not? So he also changed the PT? (Thats not simple and a bit risky change with many solutions- replacing with new PT, rewiring the old one, using external converter or in the best situation -if PT is switchable-just switch to right volts) .
And if technician just replaced transfo with a 220v and didnt gave attention to 60hz--->50hz convertion too, maybe pitch is affected ... Just wondering ...
But seller says that the technician did not changed anything in it. So i am a bit confused. If there is here someone knowing about those combo organs or similar, please help me.

Here is a video of its inside
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywE0lJLKH1g 

and here is the schematic (not very clear but maybe u can understand more things than me)

https://imgur.com/gallery/TzDOcyB

PS. I am far away from seller, i have only a friend who can test and pick it up for me(but has no experience on electronics at all), so i cannot test/open and see its circuit live by myself ...

zaraxisof said:
My wondering is, if it had US plug cord it may also had a US  PTrasnfo 110V-60hz right? Or not? So he also changed the PT? (Thats not simple and a bit risky change with many solutions- replacing with new PT, rewiring the old one, using external converter or in the best situation -if PT is switchable-just switch to right volts) .
In doubt, you could start with a light-bulb in series with the unit. It must be an incandescent bulb of similar wattage but inferior to the nominal wattage of the organ.

And if technician just replaced transfo with a 220v and didnt gave attention to 60hz--->50hz convertion too, maybe pitch is affected ... Just wondering ...
Pitch in electronic organs is independant of mains frequency.

But seller says that the technician did not changed anything in it. So i am a bit confused. If there is here someone knowing about those combo organs or similar, please help me.
You may be able to see if the mains xfmr is original or not. The schemo does not indicate there is a possibility of switching voltage, but schemos of that vintage are notably renowned for being several ECO's late.

Thanks "abbey road d enfer" for the reply, finally all gone excelent, the organ had a marking on the back "Universal Voltages" so no worries at all, it was the seller that confused me.  :)

Latest posts

Back