Voltage Doubler Capacitor Voltage Rating (Best Practices)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freshtapescent

I'm recapping a power supply with a voltage doubler, and the can caps had been replaced at some point with 150V rated parts. I don't know what they were originally spec'd at, but I've always just looked at max HT and selected the next highest voltage rating for safety margin. It will be a PITA to fit anything larger than a

Looking at the schematic, I see that either of the 80uF caps in the doubler only see half of HT, but if one failed short, the other's going to explode, and either may take out my power transformer. Whats the safe voltage rating to use for these 80uF caps?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-11-27 at 5.19.33 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-11-27 at 5.19.33 PM.png
    212.5 KB · Views: 32
freshtapescent said:
ILooking at the schematic, I see that either of the 80uF caps in the doubler only see half of HT, but if one failed short, the other's going to explode, and either may take out my power transformer. Whats the safe voltage rating to use for these 80uF caps?
If on egoes short, one of the rectifiers or the xfmr will give up anyway, but there is no way the other cap gets double the voltage.

150V rating is a bit on the shy side. 117V times root 2 is 165V and that is with nominal mains. Good design practice would allow for 10% above nominal mains so I would rate them at 200V to be safe.

Cheers

Ian

Latest posts

Back