VOX AC 15 DIY

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
any suggestions on a speaker? blue alnico? nice but $$$ and a long break in to get rid of the ice pick hi end, celestion creamback gets mostly positive reviews,
After a lot of speaker changes in my AC15hw, I ended up with a Weber Alnico Silver Bell. To me it really hit the sweet spot of doing that alnico thing without the icepick highs.

Oh, and I did the Pre-Rola dope.

I do also really like their alnico blues (Blue Dog), but for some reason the Silver Bell was the one for me in my AC15.

Last edited:
thanks for the speaker suggestions!

got some stuff done tonight, using ceramic caps instead of film for the oscillator, that's what Fender uses,

looks like i will have enough tag board left, weird trem circuit, i think they borrowed it from an organ,

poor Vox, the owner invested in a company that was going to build black boxes for aircraft, company lost the bid and took down Vox with them. it's ok, your health is your wealth,

ch 1.jpg

I do know Jupiter speakers and they do sound excellent but Im not so sure I'd put one in a AC15. I think they have more of that American sound rather than British. Did an AC15 style amp a couple of years back. At first I had a Eminence Private Jack which did sound good.. but I ended up putting a Celestion Alnico Blue which sounds exactly the part. I have an external cab that has a Scumback H series ceramic and another that has the J series ceramic. Both sound awesome. I stopped looking at British sounding speakers when I found these.

I have a customer bringing in a couple of alnico's for me to try out, a Jensen and a rola,

Some guy brought in an amp with a cannabis rex that did not sound that bag,

Yeah.. That Cannabis Rex is a good speaker if you need to roll off the highs a little bit. I think its very dark.
I think you'll probably like the Rola in that application and if thats the speaker, get a Scumback.. They are pricey but you wont regret it.

If you would like a Mesa-branded MC90 (90 watt/8 ohm Celestion) I will sell you mine for ninety bucks + shipping. I found an old EVM for the Thiele cab, the MC90 is barely broken in. It will ship in an EV delivery box from a new EVM Classic.

Attachments

• 20230114_153200.jpg
    20230114_153200.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Back