VU Meters & Circuits for Peak and RMS

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nortotron

Dearest Wise and Knowledgeable Citizens of the 'groupdiy',

I am but a mere peasant when it comes to analogue electronics knowledge, but I have somehow managed to get a prototype '82 Moons' saturation board from @rna Serial 003, I feel honoured (or am I a Guinea pig)

Here is the board, just before I got my hands on the final input transformer and the Prototype Panel Sticker.

Charlie Moons Input and Nutube Output Transformers.jpg The Proto Sticker for the 82 Moons

The Template for the Holes...

82 moons panel hole cutting.jpg

Holes Drilled, sockets and pots mounted, just the switches to go.

82 Moons need switches.jpg

Just the power to be connected! As you can see, there is plenty of room on the front panel for VU meters!

82 Moons Nearly Ready to Go.jpg

And here, you can hear the beast in action.

Ok, that is the backstory, the unit is in and sounds so awesome and different to the Sherman Filterbank, Sansamp PSA1, and other sat/dist units I have experience with.

Tone
I was asking @rna exactly why it sounds so awesome to my ears, and he explained it is a combination of the fact he ignored the Korg NuTube offical advice & dev board and found his own way with the implementation, coupled with the splendid Lundahl Input and Output transformers.

I think the Tilt EQ is such a simple but effective way to dial in the sound you 'want', without the faff. During the development phase, I was a little suspicious of the 'NuTube', having only seen it used in strange-looking headphone amplifiers and guitar pedals. My uneducated brain was not convinced you can have the 'valve sound' without the high voltages. I love the sound.

So, here is my question:

Does anyone have any advice or starting points for VU meter driver circuits?
I want to be able to switch between peak and RMS, but I have only vague ideas to get started. If anyone has some tips, it will save me from further harassing @rna 😇

IMG_9735.jpegIMG_9736.jpeg

Many humble thanks
Nortotron.

Attachments

• 82 moons panel hole cutting.jpg
    82 moons panel hole cutting.jpg
    377.3 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back