Wanted-Metal/machine work- Fabricate pair of mic bodies

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobschwenkler

I have a pair of Soundelux mics I bought without bodies/grills. They've been sitting around for a while and I had ideas of fabricating them myself, but it's not gonna happen. I know there are some metal workers around here, and I'd love to send my business to someone who already knows something about mics.

360-259-2770

Hi Bob:
Since no one else has replied, I thought I would. I won't say, "yeah, sure, no problem," though... scratchbuilding mic bodies is one of those things that's simple in theory, but can be a real pain in the butt to build in real life. I'm not an expert, but I do have a milling machine and a lathe.

It's a tubular body, right? These are easier to make than a slope-front grille (U87) type. You wouldn't happen to have a design drawing of what you'd need, would you?

Materials costs can be considerable for these things, depending on what you want me to use. I don't have a good source for brass tube or grille cloth other than MSC, so you can look at one of their catalogs to get an idea of the materials cost.

In terms of what I'd charge for the labor... I'd be more interested in some trades than dollars. And I can't do it if you're in a hurry.

Also, not to talk myself out of a job, but have you asked the folks at Soundelux what they'd price an empty body for? If you explain the situation, they might sell you some for less than what you'd spend to scratchbuild them.

Best
BG

Back