Wanting at add some features to my summing mixer

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pjleavitt

So a few years ago i built a summing mixer using Jeff (classicapi.com)'s 2ACA-BO with 16 edcor10k:10k transformers for the inputs.  Works great and sounds cool!  Was  my first DIY project.

So now i'm thinking of turning it into more of a conventional mixer and adding faders and a couple busses/groups with inserts.  Also i have 8 Triad 600:600 transformers i would like to add to have 24 inputs with different characters

So a couple thoughts/questions, will 24 inputs be ok for just the 2-aca-bo to handle or should i get jeff's 4 channel aca and sum through that first then into the 2aca-bo?

As far as the faders/panning, here is a few things i am not sure on...  What value faders for level and value pots for panning would be best suited for this?  Or how do i go about figuring that out?  I know my trident console uses 10k log faders and i'm assuming pan pots are linear (i think they are also 10k but can't remember off the top of my head)?  Also is it going to be ok to go Transformer->fader->pan->ACA or will i need some type of buffer circuit before the fader?  I'd also like to have switches after the pan to be able to go to subgroups and for parallel compression for drums, is that as simple as having a mult going out to another ACA? 

The main thing i'm not sure on is when buffer circuits are needed and exactly what they do...  Do they just make it so you can send the signal to multiple sources without the volume dropping?

It seems just a little too easy for me to pop in faders and pan pots in between my existing transformer to summing amp setup but if its just as easy as that then great!

thanks for any help!!

Paul

Paul, did you ever do this? I'm wanting to build the summing mixer but just want to have faders and pan nobs as well and have only built a few things from kits, so I'm barely amateur here.

Latest posts

Back