We need more classic VU meters!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rock soderstrom

Tour de France
I friend of mine sent me an audiophile magazine (PDF) and I found this remarkable photo in it. I am needle VU meter fanboy and I think all headphones need inbuild VU meters. (y)(y)
Webaufnahme_17-9-2022_94027_.jpeg

I saw those at the namm show. The only thing better is stufio monitors with a vu meter on/in them
Thanks, you're proof that the whole thing wasn't just photoshopped!
Unbelievable, the designer really has a sense of humor. (y)
The intensification would be to mount the VU meters inside the cans so only clairvoyants can see it.

Last edited:
Thanks, you're proof that the whole thing wasn't just photoshopped!
Unbelievable, the designer really has a sense of humor. (y)
The intensification would be to mount the VU meters inside the cans so only clairvoyants can see it.
The studio monitors are made by ashdown who make bass amps and things. I suppose it’s their signature look. To me I think the vibrations would damage the meter

Can you hear the VU meter pointers pegging on loud passages? ;)

JR
There was a studio in town that every time sessions were done there, you would hear “tick, tick” every time the monitors were muted or lowered while music played. Amazing how it accumulates in loudness when you get multiple meters hitting at once

I remember the needle meters on the Otari MTR-90 hitting the end stop on the snare drum channel , funny thing was even the led meters on the console had trouble with the rise time of the signal , the peak led lighting before the rest of the scale had a chance to react. A good snare well tuned should eclipse all other sounds momentairily like a gunshot . its transient signals like that where the tube/transformer based circuits round out the peaks so nicely. is it any wonder music sounded better back in the day?
Op-amps sound like crap when driven into the red normally .

Last edited:
My buddy has a 4 channel abc(Australian broadcast) pre that is all germanium. It is pretty nice. He modded it for direct out. When fed signal anything up to 0VU is good. After zero, distortion increases a ton. By 9VU, if the meter went that far, the unit has 15% thd + noise. Great distortion box for guitars

There was a studio in town that every time sessions were done there, you would hear “tick, tick” every time the monitors were muted or lowered while music played. Amazing how it accumulates in loudness when you get multiple meters hitting at once
Ohh, I remember that sound! Amazing that such light needles can make such relatively loud noises when they hit the end stop. This sound makes you relatively quickly clear that just action is needed. (tick..tick..TICKKK)

Back