weird timing

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pucho812 said:
Maybe you need to wind it back up.

LOL!  It would be hilarious if all this technology we carry in our pockets and purses had to be manually wound.

I think he has suffered from timing attacks like Meltdown and Spectre  :eek:

i setted up to 10:44
it ringed at 10:52

edit: just setted up 10:55 : rined at 10:55 !!!

In a similar vein, I visted Ethan Winer's web site after JR's post about Ethan's research and found, amongst other very useful stuff, some humourous snippets.  The one that sprung to mind after reading your post was:

"Question: If someone from the 1950s suddenly appeared today, what would be the most difficult thing to explain to them about life today?
Answer: I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at picture of cats and get in arguments with strangers. --Internet meme, author unknown"

Cheers

Mike

madswitcher said:
In a similar vein, I visted Ethan Winer's web site after JR's post about Ethan's research and found, amongst other very useful stuff, some humourous snippets.  The one that sprung to mind after reading your post was:

"Question: If someone from the 1950s suddenly appeared today, what would be the most difficult thing to explain to them about life today?
Answer: I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at picture of cats and get in arguments with strangers. --Internet meme, author unknown"

Cheers

Mike
And to connect some dots that probably don't need connecting, here is a picture of one of Ethan's kittens from back in the '70s when we shared a rented house in CT.

JR 

Attachments

• kitten.png
    kitten.png
    1.6 MB
Phrazemaster said:
I think a wind-up iPhone would be brilliant! When battery low, just crank it up and generate some more electrons!!!  ;D

Only takes 30 minutes of winding to spend 1 text message.  ;D

Gene Pink said:
Did JR just post a cat picture???  :eek:

Who'da thunk it?

But then again, Mississippi did just freeze over. ;D

Gene
For the record it was not my cat....  I was sharing a house with a friend and his two cats did not respect boundaries, like staying out of my room. They also liked to chase each other up and down the stairs in the middle of the night.  They usually were kept safely locked in my roommate's bedroom but were loose in the house one time when my dog (dalmation) was not on a leash...

I recall cat prints on the ceiling and one window shade completely knocked down as the cats literally flew around the room with my dog in hot pursuit.  8) 
sampix.jpg

---------
My next door neighbor is the local cat lady person in this neighborhood...

A couple years ago a kitten hung out in my carport for two days, crying and expecting to get fed, but I know that if you feed them, they will never leave...So eventually the kitten realized food was not forthcoming and moved on... The kitten probably ended up at my neighbor's house with his other half dozen cats. 

I have little use for cats...

JR

> Did JR just post a cat picture???

This cat owned a somewhat famous person.

I knew Ethan Winer for his programming books and tool-kits. Only later did I learn he had a music habit. Only now do I learn he had a somewhat famous room-mate. If I have identified the house (from the address in Pop Electronics), it sure looks like a place for two like that.

PRR said:
> Did JR just post a cat picture???

This cat owned a somewhat famous person.

I knew Ethan Winer for his programming books and tool-kits. Only later did I learn he had a music habit. Only now do I learn he had a somewhat famous room-mate. If I have identified the house (from the address in Pop Electronics), it sure looks like a place for two like that.
Ethan was (is) a character....  we would have arguments about whether the music was more important, or the words in songs...  I don't think we ever settled that one. Ethan valued the music more (because he played) , I valued the words more (because I didn't). I guess I can see both sides to that. 

He (and his girlfriend) had an older black cat, and that kitten... The kitten was the troublemaker, but i think the older black cat was who tangled with my dog (Sam), tearing up my living room that day.

JR

PS :The rented house was on Springhill Road in Monroe, CT...  A little inland from Bridgeport. My sister in law still lives about 2 blocks away from there.

> The rented house was on Springhill Road in Monroe, CT...

House is from 1820? (I know, most of CT is circa 1820; but this looks it.)

It appears they tore a big road across the front, and the house street-number changed to suit. Springhill road cuts-off before the house to meet the new road.

Zillow: "255 Monroe Tpke, Monroe, CT is a single family home that contains 1,690 sq ft and was built in 1820. It contains 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms. This home last sold for $915,000 in April 2006.
"The Rent Zestimate for this home is $1,650/mo, which has decreased by $556/mo in the last 30 days. The property tax in 2014 was $9,767."

You could not afford to live there now. Odd that it appears boarded-up; it is probably in worse shape than Zillow can know, and being held to sell the land to Taco Bell or other 21st century commercial project. Monroe Turnpike is all strip-malls or standalone shops side by side.

Attachments

• SpringhillHouse.jpg
    SpringhillHouse.jpg
    280.7 KB
bzzt  wrongo, that isn't the house....  I suspect my old rented house "was" on that now empty lot across the street. 

If you look at the photo of my mailbox, that was directly across the street from my house you can see the white house in your image.  (maybe?)

JR

Attachments

• mbox.png
    mbox.png
    108.7 KB
While I was living there the old shaky garage collapsed. You can see the side of my (red) house in the picture.

The two cars on the right are my brother's. I shared the house with him and his family for a while (after Ethan had already moved on) as my brother was saving money to buy his first house. I also hired him to work part time for my kit company in the evenings after his day job, which was a very convenient win-win for both of us.  IIRC thanks to the cheap rent and extra income it took less than 2 years for him to accumulate enough cash for a house down payment. (Note: this was back when you had to actually make a significant down payment to get a mortgage.)

Sorry I do not have a proper picture of the house, but it was not that photogenic, and won't be missed.

JR

Attachments

• dway.png
    dway.png
    106.9 KB
OMG those cars are looking awesome!

there is this  house for sale
18 Blueberry Ln,
Monroe, CT 06468
i cant even get a shed for that price in LA, with schools 10-10-8

kambo said:
OMG those cars are looking awesome!
oddly both me and my brother grew up Ford lovers, but at that snapshot in time my brother had a nice Camaro, and I was driving the big blue boat (Impala... 350ci V8 with 3 speed auto).  I paid something like $500 for the impala from a friend who owned a gas station/repair business so he gave me a good deal.  I also drove a motorcycle to handle my acceleration jones.
there is this  house for sale
18 Blueberry Ln,
Monroe, CT 06468
coincidentally the house my brother (RIP) bought, and sister in law still lives in is on Blueberry Lane, just not #18. Glad to see the neighborhood has appreciated in value over the decades since.

If you think $400k is cheap, you don't want to hear what I paid for my current house (3BR brick with an acre of land).  Of course location has more than a little influence on price.  :eek:
i cant even get a shed for that price in LA, with schools 10-10-8
You couldn't even buy a parking space in the real world for what I paid for my house back in the 80s.. 

Hint my taxes are <$1k year (and we get what we pay for... not much).

JR

Back