West Coast Fires

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That could be true in some of the fires in the USA, but Canada and even Siberia have a big wildfire problem too.

Not much (homeless) camping in Siberia, I'm afraid. Nor is there much badly maintained infra around.

Of course, Pucho.

What I mean is, there are numerous wildfires going on atm. I just mentioned Siberia cause it hardly made the news here. Spain has the same problem, fi, and the list goes on. I don't know how much of it appears in US media.

Don't you think it's a clear indicator of climate change?

For those interested, NASA's "Fire" page:

https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/global-maps/MOD14A1_M_FIRE

Of course, Pucho.

What I mean is, there are numerous wildfires going on atm. I just mentioned Siberia cause it hardly made the news here. Spain has the same problem, fi, and the list goes on. I don't know how much of it appears in US media.

Don't you think it's a clear indicator of climate change?

For those interested, NASA's "Fire" page:

https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/global-maps/MOD14A1_M_FIRE
Sure, Of course it is climate change. There is no question that the climate is changing. How much of it is caused by man-made is where the real debate would happen. See I think it is rather arrogant thinking that we as a specias are the singular reason for such events. Granted we do not help, but we are not the singular reason. That ultimately, when the earth is done with our species no amount of what we do will prevent it's demise. I think we have far less to do with it then we give ourselves credit for.

IMO the real (only) question is how do we respond.

-This is not an existential life ending crisis. The Temperature change is a very slow moving phenomenon. Humans are smart and adaptive so we can survive and prosper despite far larger climate challenges.

- The strategy to shut down fossil fuel use will have zero (close enough to zero to call it zero) impact on the immediate climate. The amount of carbon in the atmosphere would not be significantly impacted by zero fossil fuel use for centuries.

- The government strategy is a naked power grab to control more of the private economy. Raising energy prices will disproportionately harm poor people more than wealthy. The celebrity opinion leaders are hypocritically still flying around in their private jets (rules for thee and not for me).

- This is a classic fast thinking/slow thinking logic switcheroo. "If" the climate is warming (an objective fact), then don't question the expansive yet ineffective political remedy.

Think slow folks... it takes a little more effort but makes us harder to fool.

JR

Update Dixie fire. It's 2 hours before sunset and like twilight outside, ash falling, 20miles from the fire. It made runs in the last day, increasing in size by 50k acres, now at 320k. Burned down the town of Greenville last night. High winds today, supposed to be better tomorrow. Rep LaMalfa, climate change denier and anti tax proponent, now sobbing on TV begging for federal and state help.

And here's the smoke plume - that light brown J or F shaped thing in the middle.
https://cdn.star.nesdis.noaa.gov/GO...2180131_GOES17-ABI-pnw-GEOCOLOR-2400x2400.jpg
Edit 8/6 - exploded last 24 hours - now 432k, the 3rd largest in CA history and the largest fire currently burning in the US.

Attachments

• 2_2021.jpg
    2_2021.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 18
  • dixie-7_25_2021.jpg
    dixie-7_25_2021.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 5
  • dixie-8_5_2021.jpg
    dixie-8_5_2021.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 5
  • dixie-8_6_2021.jpg
    dixie-8_6_2021.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Dixie fire now 463k acres. Attached pic shows the 2 smoke plumes from the east and west fire fronts, and other northern CA fires blowing across northern Nevada, Idaho and up into Montana. But I can see the sun's red disc through the smoke today.

Attachments

• dixie-smoke-8_8_21.jpg
    dixie-smoke-8_8_21.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 8
Grew to 489k overnight. Evacuation warning now for the west side of town (Janesville) - I live on the east side. They're putting more resources into the northeast side of the fire - hoping for the best.

Same thing happened last year with the Sheep fire - I guess this is the new normal.

Just an update for the fire that keeps on giving. Two day wind event - I looked out the window night before last and saw it burning down the mountain toward me. Scared the crap out of me. Luckily they jumped on it and diverted it a couple miles away at US 395. It apparently was a spot fire off the main one, but it has continued to burn to the south along the highway which has now been closed most of the time. Burned power lines again - no power yesterday afternoon and last night. Luckily I didn't have to evacuate - I would have gone to Reno as the fire was encroaching on Susanville at the same time, but 395 was closed so I don't know where I would have gone.

Better this morning - sun and blue sky for the first time in weeks due to a wind shift, now from the north. Things looking up here for a few days at least. Now a new fire south of Tahoe that has blown up in the last 4 days with thousands of evacuations and no control (Caldor fire).

Of course, climate change/global warming has nothing to do with this or other recent weather events.:rolleyes:

Here's a link to interactive fire map of US fires if anyone interested - no paywall.
https://www.latimes.com/wildfires-map/

Attachments

• dixie-8_18_2021.jpg
    dixie-8_18_2021.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 5
Glad you're ok.
Just got off the phone with a relative in NC. They had crazy flooding with roads under water and washing out.

Can't they make a national pipeline for water from some of these rivers?

Another update for the fire that just keeps on giving. Had to go to Reno yesterday, and on the way back worried they might close US 395 again before I could get through. They didn't, but the fire was approaching the escarpment above the road - fire personnel and law enforcement all over the place, smoke and twilight Armageddon in the sky. My area is currently under no threat, but the anxiety persists, not helped by the covid surge going on in this poorly vaccinated, essentially maskless county. (Went to Costco, Winco and eye doctor in Reno - EVERYBODY wearing masks.)

One month's growth:

Edit: update 9/9 - Beckwourth scar has stopped it in the southeast - 395 closed a couple of times as the fire burned down earlier this week. Still pushing up north, now 927k acres, fire perimeter about a thousand miles.

Attachments

• dixie-8_5_2021.jpg
    dixie-8_5_2021.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 4
  • dixie-9_2_2021.jpg
    dixie-9_2_2021.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 6
  • dixie-pyrocumulus-8_30_21.jpg
    dixie-pyrocumulus-8_30_21.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 6
  • dixie-9_9_2021.jpg
    dixie-9_9_2021.jpg