what are these "old style" JST XH~ish 2.5mm / 2.54mm headers and where to get them? (from 1980s Yamaha and Korg products)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zzzzz

GDIY Supporter
Title kind of says it all, but was hoping someone could give some insight.

In old Japanese made Yamaha products (digital reverbs from the early to mid 1980s) and some early 1980s Korg products I've worked on, all header / wiring harness connections are with what I guess you would call "old style" JST blocks.

That are smaller than the currently available JST XH headers but still the same pin spacing and everyone I've found online discussing them seems to think they are "no longer available." The pins are more rectangular / long "blade" type than they are square.

HOWEVER... in the Yamaha REV7 service manual for example, these headers are indeed listed in the partslist as "XH," so what's up with that? (Google Translate says the Japanese next to “XH” translates to “connector base pin”)

Photo shows REV7 where I replaced this "old style" header with a current generic brand JST XH header.

There is a seller on eBay who sells replacement OLED displays for Yamaha synths / effects at a premium cost with the correct headers attached for plug-and-play. In the listing, they say they haven't been available since 2011, but I can't even find an old datasheet or anything on what this variation of the header might be...

Attachments

• old and new JST header.jpg
    old and new JST header.jpg
    433.5 KB
  • rev7 SM parts list.png
    rev7 SM parts list.png
    94.7 KB
Last edited:
Back