...What did I miss???

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SSLtech

Hey fellas!

Well, it's been a hectic few years. I'm no longer working at a studio complex (though I'm still involved with electronics, I'm really not deeply involved with audio any longer) and the personal life thing has been through quite the reorganization as well... (divorce, moving from Orlando to St. Petersburg)

I'm possibly getting rid of a few things, so keep an eye open in the black market for any oddities and interesting projects that may come up for sale.

Other than that, how's everybody doing? -What scandals did I miss?

Keef

Welcome back. I've also been mostly away the past few years due to similar life changes and new challenges. Still quite a few of the old gang here, but many are gone (some permanently, unfortunately).

Good to see you here as well..

..and take care, St. Petersburg is not all that safe these days, the war in the neighborhood and all..

I believe that’s St. Petersburg Florida. Tampa/St. Petersburg is like a single city.

Thanks for the welcome back!

Still biking, though not as intensely... Yes, St Petersburg Florida, not St Petersburg Russia... although my mum does speak fluent Russian, I've never picked much of it up, and now would not be the best time to be there!

The last few years I've found myself involved with lighting control systems, and a few years back I came up with a hardware device which makes control systems meet a Disney-specific safety code (emergency lighting; power loss, fire/smoke, etc) and it has pretty much taken all of my time working to upgrade existing properties as well as ALL new construction on Disney properties... OF course we were sure to patent it, and as a result, we're now the ONLY company that can supply and install systems which meet the codes required by the jurisdictional authority...

Not even time for recording orchestral or ensemble classical music since then.

Anyhow, I'm moved, and was looking at all the gear I've got -either bought or built- and I don't think I'm ever going to set up a studio here, so I'll be offloading it. -A chapter closing, I think.

Perversely, I think the time off has given me a sort of an objective/detached perspective, so I might actually be more interested in being involved in discussions about gear... sounds counter-intuitive, but strangely I feel better positioned to observe and think without being in the 'heat' of the debate, if that makes sense.

Hi Keith,
Heureux de te revoir à nouveau ici...! :))
Cheers,
Guy
My new girlfriend makes a point of traveling internationally as often as possible.. in fact we met over a photo of her at Le Mont St. Michel which I'd noticed...

We recently visited Italy as soon as the COVID travel restrictions were finally lifted, and I *FINALLY* got to visit Cremona -the city of the old master violin makers- and of course I got to meet forum member Kruz again (I'd last seen him about 8 years ago in Milan).
Next trip we plan to visit Britain -she's keen to meet my mum- but after that, we may well take a trip to France... -I've told her SO much about places that I want to take her, even though she's been to France on her own before.
In fact, on our first date we went to a French restaurant and I found out that the chef/owner was from a part of Lyon that I knew very well in my teens... and he learned to cook at Paul Bocuse's restaurant at Collonges au Mont d'Or (there was a photo of he and his wife with Paul Bocuse by the front door)... as it happened, I had just met Paul Bocuse's son the previous month through work!
So France and French food has been a fixture of our relationship since the beginning; I made Coq au Vin with Creme brulee for dessert, and she lets me make as much food as I want to! (Next week I'm thinking Boeuf Bourgignon... yeah, I like to cook with red wine!)
You're in the Val de Loire reagion if I recall? -Tours, perhaps?
Hope you're thriving!

...What did I miss???​

Probably the biggest thing you missed is that PRR unfortunately left the forum and that was for sure a big loss to this forum.

My new girlfriend makes a point of traveling internationally as often as possible..

If you ever come to Portugal and visit Lisbon area please let me know something,
I'm sure you will have a great time here, pretty good weather, good food, friendly people, full of history and culture but also 15 minutes from beautiful beaches or 30 minutes from misty mountains. Also a really diverse and rich music scene.

tourthumb-35678.jpg

r003eb-1.jpg

bc.jpg

800px-Fonte_da_Telha_-_Portugal_%2836616813624%29.jpg

-A chapter closing, I think.
Great to have you back!
Seeing Michael Iceberg at Disney World circa '76 is a stepping stone to where I am now. I lament the current grooming garbaggio going on there.
Filter your divestments carefully! I just yesterday had a physical brewery discussion with friends and I will not list the regrets we all had from purges and jettisons over the years. We did what we had to or wanted to do at the time. Baggage is a big issue with those who are fixing/ desiging/ prototyping/ dreaming/ etc. You sell or give away a [insert something stored, but not used/needed for over 10 years] and why the hell do you have a sitch, less than a month later, where you actually need it and have to buy it. Most of the regrets involved vintage synths, effects, and outboard. A favorite little box in my shop is from an 80's studio shop "Stuff we wonder why we saved".
Cheers, Mike

My new girlfriend makes a point of traveling internationally as often as possible.. in fact we met over a photo of her at Le Mont St. Michel which I'd noticed...

We recently visited Italy as soon as the COVID travel restrictions were finally lifted, and I *FINALLY* got to visit Cremona -the city of the old master violin makers- and of course I got to meet forum member Kruz again (I'd last seen him about 8 years ago in Milan).
Next trip we plan to visit Britain -she's keen to meet my mum- but after that, we may well take a trip to France... -I've told her SO much about places that I want to take her, even though she's been to France on her own before.
In fact, on our first date we went to a French restaurant and I found out that the chef/owner was from a part of Lyon that I knew very well in my teens... and he learned to cook at Paul Bocuse's restaurant at Collonges au Mont d'Or (there was a photo of he and his wife with Paul Bocuse by the front door)... as it happened, I had just met Paul Bocuse's son the previous month through work!
So France and French food has been a fixture of our relationship since the beginning; I made Coq au Vin with Creme brulee for dessert, and she lets me make as much food as I want to! (Next week I'm thinking Boeuf Bourgignon... yeah, I like to cook with red wine!)
You're in the Val de Loire reagion if I recall? -Tours, perhaps?
Hope you're thriving!
Hi Keith !
Good to hear good news of your new life.
I ignored you were a famous French cooking Chef...better than me, anyway... HAHA !
I am not in Loire Valley but in west area of Paris ( Yvelines ), around six miles from where SSL had their office in the 90's...
I think you remember.... :))
Contact me if you are around Paris one day !
Cheers,
Guy

Last edited:
Back