What if you opened up a Manley Reference C and ...

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi,
thanks for the quick answer. Actually i do like the all-black one. I dont want to do an exact copy, so that
would fit my path. Will asked if they would sell a pair. Ten is too much for me. ;-)

rod

Hi,
thanks for the quick answer. Actually i do like the all-black one. I dont want to do an exact copy, so that
would fit my path. Will asked if they would sell a pair. Ten is too much for me. ;-)

rod
Or just ask for two as a sample, say you plan a serial production... usually works.

Attachments

• PXL_20230925_101329880.jpg
    PXL_20230925_101329880.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20230925_101349186.jpg
    PXL_20230925_101349186.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20230925_101413329.jpg
    PXL_20230925_101413329.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20230925_101530985.jpg
    PXL_20230925_101530985.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Ok, get it, thanks. If you have some time on your hands and you are willing maybe you could do a schematic mockup.
Hi! I know I am a bit Late with this, but maybe someone still will find this helpful . I Followed all the components as best as I could I believe it should be bang on. but possibly missed something out .anyway I also printed some prototype pcb s and made 2 clones for stereo use . used capsules from st 51 and I like the results . as well as made power supply for it . very fun project . important note all voltage measurements are done on original microphone with 12at7 tube and not with 12ax7. there is 50 volt difference on 6th pin with 12ax7 . sorry for confusion . also I couldn't fit 3uf capacitor in my design because there is less space in Ali express mic body .

Attachments

• tempImageuiV2J6.png
    tempImageuiV2J6.png
    9.5 MB · Views: 1
  • tempImageDLBObg.png
    tempImageDLBObg.png
    11.9 MB · Views: 2
  • tempImagedOkihx.png
    tempImagedOkihx.png
    11 MB · Views: 2
  • ref c .sch_2023-12-26.png
    ref c .sch_2023-12-26.png
    74.7 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Hi! I know I am a bit Late with this, but maybe someone still will find this helpful . I Followed all the components as best as I could I believe it should be bang on. but possibly missed something out .anyway I also printed some prototype pcb s and made 2 clones for stereo use . used capsules from st 51 and I like the results . as well as made power supply for it . very fun project . important note all voltage measurements are done on original microphone with 12at7 tube and not with 12ax7. there is 50 volt difference on 6th pin with 12ax7 . sorry for confusion . also I couldn't fit 3uf capacitor in my design because there is less space in Ali express mic body .
Now i found the original hand drawn schematic i made, i actually measured 165v at anode, and 278v before anode resistor on the original. Could it be there's something wrong with the original? Your clone seems to measure right! Could it be 12at7? Mine had 12ax7!

Now i found the original hand drawn schematic i made, i actually measured 165v at anode, and 278v before anode resistor on the original. Could it be there's something wrong with the original? Your clone seems to measure right! Could it be 12at7? Mine had 12ax7!
yours seems a bit higher. I think original one is fine, I just changed tube from 12at7 to 12ax7 and it measures exactly same as my clone 147 volts

Last edited:
No I didn't check ratios, also I don't know how to check that , do you measure resistance for primary and secondary ? also is it possible to dm on this forum?

yours seems a bit higher. I think original one is fine, I just changed tube to from 12at7 to 12ax7 and it measures exactly same as my clone 147 volts
That seems right.

I measured the transformer by injecting ac voltage at one end and then measured on the other. I believe i did it right, but wasn't sure as i didn't remove the transformer from the circuit. You have nothing to worry about as you have the real deal. I just wanted to double-check. I'm not sure about the wiring in my schematic for the same reason. Nice to have your version in case i ever get to build the circuit. Thanks a million!!!

It is possible to dm, but as you are a new member you need to make more posts before you can dm.

That seems right.

I measured the transformer by injecting ac voltage at one end and then measured on the other. I believe i did it right, but wasn't sure as i didn't remove the transformer from the circuit. You have nothing to worry about as you have the real deal. I just wanted to double-check. I'm not sure about the wiring in my schematic for the same reason. Nice to have your version in case i ever get to build the circuit. Thanks a million!!!

It is possible to dm, but as you are a new member you need to make more posts before you can dm.
Would be fun to try out c800g k67 capsule on this microphone to make it even more Sony like . is there any info on anyone trying to make k67 tuned like Sony ? So far I haven't seen anything close to it . also have you ever tested c80? and do you think it would be possible to use c80 capsule in ref c?

Would be fun to try out c800g k67 capsule on this microphone to make it even more Sony like . is there any info on anyone trying to make k67 tuned like Sony ? So far I haven't seen anything close to it . also have you ever tested c80? and do you think it would be possible to use c80 capsule in ref c?
It probably would be possible to use that capsule, but it's edge terminated, very different to Manley or c800. Soliloqueen has been trying to get one c800 capsule for reverse engineering in order to make a clone, no updates so far

It probably would be possible to use that capsule, but it's edge terminated, very different to Manley or c800. Soliloqueen has been trying to get one c800 capsule for reverse engineering in order to make a clone, no updates so far

Do you know if capsule in c48 is the same as in c800g ? heard some rumours but wanted to check if it's true.

Latest posts

Back