What is this good for

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A friend of mine gave this to me. I'm thinking balanced in/out and I'm done. What think you's most learned people?

A friend of mine gave this to me. I'm thinking balanced in/out and I'm done. What think you's most learned people?
It looks like an optimistic "does everything" box.... The compressor can reduce crest factor, the expander can be used as a single ended noise reduction.

It looks more like a historic novelty, or perhaps odd efx.

JR

Someone on this thread was using a similar model as a compressor:
balancing circuits for dbx 118
yesss not exactly the same, but pretty close.
The 118 is great, it's deliciously dirty and weird, I love it ! I use it on many things bass, drums even mixbus. It's a bit of a one trick pony but does that trick very well. I'm only using it as a compressor.

I picked one up recently and used it as the main drum bus compressor on this EP by Anna Byrne, on the tracks "Needle" and "Allow Me". It's a one trick pony, yes, but I found it a very nice trick for that job! Kind of like a lo-fi stereo 160VU. The two compression modes give interestingly different flavours. I haven't really experimented with the noise reduction section, but I suspect the "record" path might work OK as an exciter when blended with the uneffected signal.

I currently have mine hooked up via some utility transformers, but am planning to go in and look at the power supply at some point in the hope of quietening it down (it's currently quite a noisy little bugger). Once that's done I'll see how much room is left for electronic debalancing / balancing, and maybe a couple of tweaks. For example, that big make-up gain knob on the front only works when the noise reduction section is engaged, so is useless as make-up for the compressor...

In short, it's fun. Enjoy!

Hey TwentyTrees, check out my thread (link up there) as I am working on the same things with my 118. I am working on clean unbalancing in front of the unit, and clean balancing after it with a gain stage to compensate the gain reduction.
I will also replace the PSU with a meanwell +/-12V with ample headroom for the compressor AND the added stages. I'll see if it lower the noise floor, but that's my only expectation as I don't want to change its tone at all.

It looks like an optimistic "does everything" box.... The compressor can reduce crest factor, the expander can be used as a single ended noise reduction.

It looks more like a historic novelty, or perhaps odd efx.

JR
I agree, John. and if it has the typical dbx rms control loop, it isn't going to be very useful at high ratios, either in limiting or expansion.

Awesome work on that EP, I like the very ambiant band / music and (super) dry lead vocal, beautiful songs and production, bravo !
Thanks Thomas! Anna is a talented songwriter (and therefore totally underrated), it was a huge pleasure working on that EP for her. I'll follow your thread on the 118 as, apart from the NR circuitry, the units are very similar. 👍🏼

Latest posts

Back