What rack gear could you not live without in your mixes?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Um ... ahem ... only because you expressly ask for it ... my mother told me to keep quiet if I have nothing nice to say. JHR

PS - while I am not the Thread Police, it is sorta kinda impolite to hijack a thread to discuss a completely different topic. You have converted a thread about essential rack gear into a critique of your art. JHR
You need to read the comments before responding to them. I had no intention of sharing mixes until it was rudely requested; As you can see from the referenced comment. I'm not sure what you mean? My initial comment in regards to hardware referenced the A77 tape machine and EMT plate(though admittedly not rack gear). They are both used extensively in these mixes, and I've explained why I think that hardware is better in response to a comment. Why is you talking about bourbon and beaches more on topic than what I'm RESPONDING to?

Last edited:
I wasn't even able to listen. When I clicked the link, it said the playlist was unavailable. 🤷‍♂️
Jelly's song bits link

I'm not sure why. When I click on it, it's working. Maybe try this one? I'm about to send some of these to a label I've been talking to and wouldn't mind some feedback.

Last edited:
I appreciate the beach information, thank you! I haven't traveled outside of the US much at all yet, but I plan to. The only thing I can contribute is that if any of you get to the northwest Florida area, the beaches there are rather nice - they are a real fine white sand. The Pensacola/Gulf Breeze area has some good people there, good food and progressive attitude, and yep good bourbon is to be had as well.

I appreciate the beach information, thank you! I haven't traveled outside of the US much at all yet, but I plan to. The only thing I can contribute is that if any of you get to the northwest Florida area, the beaches there are rather nice - they are a real fine white sand. The Pensacola/Gulf Breeze area has some good people there, good food and progressive attitude, and yep good bourbon is to be had as well.
I'm more of a Scotch man, but what's your go-to bourbon these days? I need to widen my pallet...

Why is you talking about bourbon and beaches more on topic than what I'm RESPONDING to?

Because a bottle of good bourbon is an essential piece of kit in my studio and that is what the topic is about. And the beach is an essential aspect of Mr. Whoop's process. Anyway, thanks for taking the bait, old man. :)
As for bourbon: I like George T Stagg from the Sazarac Antique Collection and Old Forester 1897 on a good day. My daily swill is Old Forester Statesman. For those who doubt my credentials on bourbon, the attached photo shows me writing a memo to Tom Bulleit (owner Bulleit Frontier Whisky) at his desk in the old Stitzel-Weller Distillery in Louisville. And, unlike music, I never "mix" any of it. :) James

Attachments

• JR at Bulleit Distillery sm a cr IMG_9564-1.jpg
    JR at Bulleit Distillery sm a cr IMG_9564-1.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Yeah - but if you visit a lot of of the Sussex coast in England you'll find the beaches are shingle. Much better than the sandy nonsense that makes its way into every nook and cranny 🙂 obvs Camber Sands lets us down. But that's my early in Kent tbf 🤣

Yeah - but if you visit a lot of of the Sussex coast in England you'll find the beaches are shingle. Much better than the sandy nonsense that makes its way into every nook and cranny 🙂 🤣

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Can't stop laughing

I remember when I was a kid my mother in summer time was always yelling to us telling that there was too much sand around the house, she got crazy about it. Nowadays I totally understand how desperate she was as she was the only person cleaning the mess.

Well, many years down the line, it seems I'm still really into having fine beach sand into nooks and crannys

As for Bourbon, I'm also a fan. I like it to relax at night chilling out at home from a full day of mixing

"Anyway, thanks for taking the bait, old man."

Ouch, first time.

"Sazarac Antique Collection"

Had some at my wedding; good stuff!

Took me a short while to get that tbh 🙄Well it's been a long day 🙂

:)

Harrison 4032, not working and will not be fixed by the studio, it's also not needed as for tracking they have a very good selection of Mic Preamps and outboard channel strips, and for mixing it's not feasible in a commercial studio because clients want and need immediate total recall of mixes, which I completely understand.

Studio owner still wants to have it there in the center of the studio (even if not working) because less knowledgeable clients (managers, labels PRs, non-technical artists/musicians) are still impressed by seeing a console, it's a wow factor for many people.

Don't get me wrong, I think good consoles are "sexy" and love to see them, I would love to have a vintage Neve or Helios, but I don't need them at all for my work.

because less knowledgeable clients (managers, labels PRs, non-technical artists/musicians) are still impressed by seeing a console, it's a wow factor for many people.

YES ... LOTS OF little pilot LIGHTS on all over the place! Way Cool.

I confess that from the beginning, even as a child, I have always liked seeing LOTS of pilot lights on all the equipment. Turn the stage lights down and let the audience see all the pretty red and blue pilot lights on the equipment -- and, if possible, LOTS of analog METERS bouncing up and down. It just looks cool. And, I still think it looks cool. I recently added a pair of fancy schmancy analog display meters to my my transceiver.

Eye candy ... :) James K8JHR

New Meter with rig.JPG

Well at least you get a nice padded arm rest :)

re: tracking - what system do they use for monitor mix etc. ?

For control room monitoring it’s some ATC big wall mounted speakers and then some Auratones.
I might bring my ProAc Studio 100 to use as near fields, it’s what I’m used to.

For musicians personal mixers it’s theses ones, they’re great for the price, 16 channels with PAN and some Master EQ, and also a built in Limiter for Drummers:

BBD8D977-D1DA-42EA-A52C-9CBD9752E757.jpeg

It’s a cheaper alternative to Avion, and are much better than the Hear-Back system.

For mixing it would have to be inside ProTools, but they don’t have much plugins. I’m going to mix in my studio with my system and tools anyway

Thanks. It was the musician / performer mix while tracking that I meant. I looked up that system. Seems to do a job. I guess there is some anti-Behringer bias at large but it does look an effective solution in context.
fwiw I tend to think the console thing is as much about ergonomics as sonics. So a desk layout with real faders etc is preferable. Whether a "Work Surface' or "Digitally Controlled Analogue" eg Euphonix (of old now).
But I was a designer, not a user/customer, do whatever works for people. And obvs there are the cost considerations.

Last edited:
I gutted a dead Hill Multimix and built a DIY-990 based mixer ...

Gratuitous Sidebar Question -- Please explain the practical and technical significance of the little statues/figurines visible in the photo? I have heard of Plug-n-"Pray" connections, but I have never associated that with any religious or good luck talismans! And yet, they MUST be "essential rack gear." How do they affect the final mix? I am most curious about the one hiding behind the monitor ... :)

Happy trails to you. James

Gratuitous Sidebar Question -- Please explain the practical and technical significance of the little statues/figurines visible in the photo?
Essential! They are gifts from friends and family. They serve the studio by providing a healthy level of distraction and nostalgia.

I am most curious about the one hiding behind the monitor ...

I call him The Mariner and he helps when I’m “lost at sea” in a mix.

1017D6D6-0D0C-43F9-AED9-7EDA4EA39A6A.jpeg

I have no windows in here, so having things to look at and pull my eyes away from the monitor are very much needed. My favorite is this photo my friend took in the mountains and gifted me.

8B3712EF-FDA9-45B4-B750-2F779FA27ABC.jpeg

Back