what to do with b & k 4006?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skeptic12

GDIY Supporter
I sent a 4006 and 4012 with bad capsules up to DPA and they sent them back as unrepairable.

has anyone tried different capsules with these bodies? is it possible to something? it seems a shame to let them languish

Attachments

• tempImagey9tP2R.png
    tempImagey9tP2R.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 43
I sent a 4006 and 4012 with bad capsules up to DPA and they sent them back as unrepairable.

First of all "Unrepairable" is a lie, everything can be repaired, specially something as simple as a microphone.
Did they gave a reason for it? what was that they found hard to repair?

I would not expect a company like DPA to state that one of their really expensive microphones is unrepairable, shame on DPA

Last edited:
What have you done to these poor mics to make them "unrepairable"?
Is it the dpa factory or some dealer/service point?
I concur with the other answers.
has anyone tried different capsules with these bodies?
That would surmise the problem is in the capsule, and then, I don't undersand why it would not be possible to replace with a new one...?
You must ask why; such an answer should be accompanied with a decent diagnosis. It's unworthy of dpa.
is it possible to something? it seems a shame to let them languish
Indeed. I believe the best option is to restore them. However it may exceed the prive of a new one...

Last edited:
What have you done to these poor mics to make them "unrepairable"?
Is it the dpa factory or some dealer/service point?
I concur with the other answers.

That would surmise the problem is in the capsule, and then, I don't undersand why it would not be possible to replace with a new one...?
You must ask why; such an answer should be accompanied with a decent diagnosis. It's unworthy of dpa.

Indeed. I believe the best option is to restore them. However it may exceed the prive of a new one...
DPA themselves initially quoted an exorbitant price to replace a capsule (more than €1k for a diaphragm) and then sent them back with tape around the capsules with unrepairable tagged. no reason given. I know both mics had torn or wrinkled skins. I guess they just want people to buy the new stuff.

has anyone tried adapting other capsules or is all their stuff too proprietary?

DPA themselves initially quoted an exorbitant price to replace a capsule (more than €1k for a diaphragm) and then sent them back with tape around the capsules with unrepairable tagged. no reason given. I know both mics had torn or wrinkled skins. I guess they just want people to buy the new stuff.

To be honest you should present an official claim to DPA.
I'm not talking about an email to the service department, if one exists, I'm talking about escalating the situation to DPA management.
An email sent to different DPA addresses and also a written letter by registered mail to the DPA management.

Sorry to hear this and i hope you find a solution to fix it.
Did you record a cannon shot at the muzzle ? Those mics are supposed to handle 146 dB SPL peak. With a new price of $2400 i'm only half surprised that the capsule replacement cost 1K. I have a pair of 4011 and i would probably go for a repair if something like that happened to one of mine.

has anyone tried different capsules with these bodies? is it possible to something? it seems a shame to let them languish
It is very rare that they do not offer you at least to change the capsule, I have a few to whom I have changed the capsule in DPA, even couples, in which only one had to be changed and they changed both at the cost of one. But it was before the purchase by RCF

It is very rare that they do not offer you at least to change the capsule, I have a few to whom I have changed the capsule in DPA, even couples, in which only one had to be changed and they changed both at the cost of one. But it was before the purchase by RCF
yes weird, but maybe the new management

basically I have a 4006 here that could be hacked into something else. even if they offered to replace skin for €1200, I probably wouldn't do it. has anyone tried different capsules?

Back