What to do with JT-13k7a

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikerl

http://www.jensen-transformers.com/datashts/13k7a.pdf

I have 4 of these.. i was going to try to use them for a set of ez1290's, but i think i'll just buy the carnhills.  I asked this over in the ez1290 thread, but i imagine i will get more results here.

I would like to build 4 preamps with these, at very little cost.  preferably, no output transformers, and with a VERY simple circuit.  Basically the idea is to make 4 simple, clean sounding preamps, so i dont waste the transformers.  The fewer parts the better!

Anyone have any ideas?  If you wanted to put these mic input transformers to use, what would you do? 

Very little cost would be to do the data sheet circuit.  A 5534 some resistors and caps. 

I added a schematic of the SSL4000 as an attachment for another similar option.  This was the first version of the preamp SSL used.

Should make some good sounding preamps.  But so will the 3nity's suggestion.  Now you have options to choose from.  Hell maybe 2 of the 990's and 2 of these.

Have fun!

-Casey

Attachments

• SSL_82E01_Channel_Amplifier.1chip.pdf
    102 KB · Views: 30
THANKS!

This will be great.. its funny how 4 parts you need to replace in another project can turn into another rack of pre's!

Anyone ever build those data sheet circuits?  i def want something easy and cheap.. but sonic quality is certainly not to be ignored..

emrr said:
If you have to question a Jensen data sheet, well.....

Not sure i understand, bro.

dont know where i "questioned the jensen data sheet"... perhaps you misunderstood my post... im just here looking for suggestions on a project since i have some extra iron laying around... i certainly never made an attempt at saying that i had any clue what i was doing.

Looks like someone has there "im really cool and smart" panties on today.

mikerl said:
Anyone ever build those data sheet circuits?  i def want something easy and cheap.. but sonic quality is certainly not to be ignored..

Sounds like you are questioning the Jensen data sheets to me, maybe I do misunderstand your wording. 

emrr said:
mikerl said:

Sounds like you are questioning the Jensen data sheets to me, maybe I do misunderstand your wording.

not questioning the sheet dude.. asking if anyone has built any, in order to get an opinion on if its worth the build... could sound like shit, in which case i dont want to build it.

mikerl said:
not questioning the sheet dude.. asking if anyone has built any, in order to get an opinion on if its worth the build... could sound like sh*t, in which case i dont want to build it.

bro dude!  "Not questioning the sheet, but maybe it sounds like shit."  THAT IS QUESTIONING THE DATA SHEET!!  The data sheet meant to show a good design with the transformer in question!

Wow.  Like my original statement, maybe you should build something else you are more certain of, if you can sort that out.  Maybe you aren't adventurous enough to waste your time trying it yourself and forming your own opinion.  If you have to rely on the opinions of others here, you'll get so many you may never make up your mind.  Some will like it, some won't.  Hell, there are people who don't like Jensen at all, maybe they are a waste of time too. 

emrr said:
mikerl said:
not questioning the sheet dude.. asking if anyone has built any, in order to get an opinion on if its worth the build... could sound like sh*t, in which case i dont want to build it.

bro dude!  "Not questioning the sheet, but maybe it sounds like sh*t."  THAT IS QUESTIONING THE DATA SHEET!!  The data sheet meant to show a good design with the transformer in question!

Wow.  Like my original statement, maybe you should build something else you are more certain of, if you can sort that out.  Maybe you aren't adventurous enough to waste your time trying it yourself and forming your own opinion.  If you have to rely on the opinions of others here, you'll get so many you may never make up your mind.  Some will like it, some won't.  Hell, there are people who don't like Jensen at all, maybe they are a waste of time too.

hey man.. i dont think inquiring about the sonic character of a preamp is anywhere near related to questing the reliability of the information on the sheet.

look , i am a working engineer who doesn't have the time or desire to build something just to try it.  I have pretty solid opinions on the different flavors of preamps out there.. and have used a good chunk of whats available, in practice.. i loved all the suggestions regarding the 990's, and the ssl's.. i have used both in practice, and might go in that direction...  those sudgestions were helpful, and i dont think its out of line to ASK if anyone has used ONE particular preamp (the design on the data sheet)....  This is a website for people of all ability levels to come and get information.. i have built a army of amps, a couple compressors.. a couple preamps.. but i have never claimed to be an expert on building.. i dont build this stuff for the joy of it, i build it to get nice gear for less cash, because im working engineer on a budget..

i dont remember having to take a electronics exam to sign up for this PUBLIC forum.  I honestly thought the point of a place like this was to have an avenue for support.. perhaps i was wrong and its just a bunch of old know-it-all's who dont work much anymore so they spend all day flaming people for asking legitimate questions.  find a new hobby. 

back to the topic.

if anyone else has cool idea's on how or where to use these cool transformers, i'd love to hear about it  :)

mikerl said:
i dont remember having to take a electronics exam to sign up for this PUBLIC forum.  I honestly thought the point of a place like this was to have an avenue for support.. perhaps i was wrong and its just a bunch of old know-it-all's who dont work much anymore so they spend all day flaming people for asking legitimate questions.  find a new hobby. 

Like you said, it is a public forum, so back at ya.  You sure are easily offended, for one so ready to attack and offend.  No sense of humor at all.  There's absolutely no implication of an electronics exam. 

I'm a bit astonished that you might think Jensen might not know how to design something that sounds great with their transformer, that they would dare mess up their marketing by trotting out a substandard design.  It really goes hand in hand that they either know what they are doing, or they don't.  With one of those two options, you don't bother with their transformer.  You said simple and clean, you got the right answer, really.  You questioned it.  As if someone here wants to spend time wasting your time with a bad suggestion.  It just comes off that you want it handed to you, and it better be good (And cheap!  And easy!)!  And you need extra reassurance, before spending your time, and a few of your dollars, because you are very busy.  I don't have a great reaction to that vibe, and it came through in my response.  Is there a standard agreement on 'good'?    What's that standard after you spend more of your money and time on ez1290's?  If you have all the experience you claim with various preamps, you must have some idea about the meanings inherent in the Jensen data sheet.  It's certainly not out of line to ask about anyone using one particular preamp design, but to imply at the outset there's a chance it's sonically inferior suggests a basic misunderstanding of the $102 part you want to use, and what it's designed for.  As a working recording engineer who builds and modifies audio equipment, I find that riotously funny in the best Monty Python sort of way. 

Maybe reading the data sheet is a waste of time.  Maybe I'm wasting your time telling you about the legend of the Indigo Ranch Jensen preamps, based on something very very similar to the data sheet?  I'm probably wasting mine.  Preamp collectors are hoarding those to this day.  Maybe I missed the part where you asked if that Jensen sounded any good; it will certainly define the sound of a preamp more than any single other component.  Maybe that's where you are wasting your time.

The 990 is not the greatest idea for this transformer, but it'll work.  Plenty do it.  I'll leave it up to you to research the ins and outs of matching the 990 for 'best' sound. 

You can hook it up to a tube if you want.  Plenty here do similar.  Wait; that'll be expensive.  Never mind.  So will (4) 990's. 

How many ideas do you need?  With cheap as a requirement, there aren't really any others. 

Good luck with your build, really no one can tell you what you will like.  Maybe you'll learn something and come back with a contribution, if only an opinion of the sonics resulting from the path you take. 

not easily offended, just don't like snide remarks.  thanks for all your well intentioned help.

Sorry I said something so easily misread, it's always Groucho Marx in my head.  Good luck with it, nice transformers. 

I'll just add that the 990 was designed by Deane Jensen.

IMHO, ALL the suggestions on the Jensen datasheets are better than 90% of the stuff you find on the web for mike preamps.

If you don't believe that, you'd better stay away from the 990 too.  :eek:

And to state the obvious , Why would Jensen publish something that wouldn't
sound good with their transformers ? [ it would be bad for business if that were the case ]
I got it the first time , but maybe some of the  , if it's free can't be good thinking ? but Jensen certainly
doesn't under design their stuff ,  perhaps some sound samples would benefit them , could be a gig for
someone if they can sell themselves .................
As I recall the Demeter tube pres used them  [ which the people at Jensen didn't understand why  ]

Latest posts

Back