What Would You Build?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

funkymonksf

I want a tube microphone LDC that does well on vocals and acoustic instruments (eg guitar, violin, trumpet, maybe wind).

I am aware of most the kits and boards available, but no idea where to start. I’m cool with doing P2P or turret boards, so anything is game. I just want:

-Easily sourced capsule & tube (wishful thinking, I know)

-simple circuit

-ideally multi pattern (cardioid, Omni, figure 8) 3 pos just fine

What’s more to my point is this… what tube mic have you built that you use frequently, prefer over manufactured options, and/or wouldn’t sell or would build again?

Mics I do have:
Oktava mk219 modded
Warm Audio WA-14
Shure SM57

The Oliver Archut ef800 version of the u47 is great because it is dead quiet. It does start to go into the soft clipping stage if you put them on drum OH duty, but I think it is even quieter than some of my fet mics. I would recommend a colored capsule, personally I think it shines because of "preemphasis." It is also simple. The power supply is a bit of a bitch to build with the recommended case so I would look for a larger one.
PCBs available from poctop/dany
also every studio needs to have a 47 type mic, if only for pictures on the website!
The only problem is that if you go with a k47 or m7 it will have a "sound;" that might not make it a good utility mic.
u67 is honestly worth the trouble though, even though it is a bigger hassle to assemble. If you can't get a good sound with a 67 then the mic is not your problem.

Last edited:
I have built: U67, Ela M 251, M49, EF-U47, and a pair of C12s.

The U67 is the most versatile vocal mic, followed by the M49. The C12s are the most versatile instrument mics.

Quality of capsule really matters. Quality of transformer matters as well (I am a big fan of Moby's).

My least favourite mic, which I also put the most money into (by far), is the U47. I get why people like it. It has a very forward sound which would work in pop vocals. It works well on acoustic guitar and other instruments and is a great room mic. I find that for most vocals, it's my last choice, but when it works, it really works.

Overall, if I could only have one mic, and I wanted it to do everything, it would be a C12. Mine use Tim's CT12s, 5 star GE 6072s and Moby iron.

I fi was looking for a mic that was primarily a vocal mic, but would still be versatile in other situations, I would build an M49 or U67. The U67 sounds great and can be pushed much like a dynamic mic. The M49 is pretty much as versatile of a vocal mic as the 67 but sounds more "tubey".

If you're looking for something cheaper to build, The FET 847 seems like it would be a great project.

I have built: U67, Ela M 251, M49, EF-U47, and a pair of C12s.

The U67 is the most versatile vocal mic, followed by the M49. The C12s are the most versatile instrument mics.

Quality of capsule really matters. Quality of transformer matters as well (I am a big fan of Moby's).

My least favourite mic, which I also put the most money into (by far), is the U47. I get why people like it. It has a very forward sound which would work in pop vocals. It works well on acoustic guitar and other instruments and is a great room mic. I find that for most vocals, it's my last choice, but when it works, it really works.

Overall, if I could only have one mic, and I wanted it to do everything, it would be a C12. Mine use Tim's CT12s, 5 star GE 6072s and Moby iron.

I fi was looking for a mic that was primarily a vocal mic, but would still be versatile in other situations, I would build an M49 or U67. The U67 sounds great and can be pushed much like a dynamic mic. The M49 is pretty much as versatile of a vocal mic as the 67 but sounds more "tubey".

If you're looking for something cheaper to build, The FET 847 seems like it would be a great project.
Yes this is all true IMO. I didn't recommend the C12 because in order to "have" the c12 sound it has to use a ck12 capsule, and those are ridiculously expensive no matter who you buy them from. The magic of the c12 isn't in the circuit, it's in the capsule, and maybe that tiny little bastard t14/1 which adds distortion and rolls off the sub-bass at saturation. i second the recommendation for Moby iron, gorgeous things that make me wish mics were transparent, but ask him to ship in a box. I got a few BV12s that had cracked bobbins because they slipped out of the bubble wrap inside the mailer. Luckily, he is a wonderful guy and sent me a replacement coil immediately. Now that I think about it though, the other projects aren't that much less expensive than the c12 so I would recommend the c12 as well. Too bad Tim Campbell is so busy. Forget AI, we need to invent a cloning machine!

Latest posts

Back