What's the best bet for ordering Chinese manufactured capsules direct? 797?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In addition, I have more capsule models that are more affordable than 797 Audio, and they are all 3μm. Their prices are the same, 80USD and 515RMB.

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg

The email address is correct because I have received emails from different people, if it is wrong, I will not receive those emails. As for the price, the single-sided one is 140USD and the double-sided one is 200USD. These are all brand new. Maybe you can buy 797 audio directly, the unit price will be much cheaper, but as far as I know, they will not sell in small amount, at least 100 pieces. The most convenient way for me to receive payment is Alipay. If you can use this payment method, you can directly pay me RMB. The prices are 900RMB and 1300RMB. There is another way of payment, which is to remit to me through bank card, but this is quite troublesome, because I don't have a bank card that can receive US dollars, SO I need to open one separately. I'll write down the parameters and some photos below
Thanks. I tried to send an email to you, but it would not allow me to send it. I’ll keep these in mind for a future project. I’ve never bought anything on Alipay. Ebay would be easier, I think.

Thanks. I tried to send an email to you, but it would not allow me to send it. I’ll keep these in mind for a future project. I’ve never bought anything on Alipay. Ebay would be easier, I think.
Alipay is the most commonly used payment tool in China. It is not a shopping website. If you think it is troublesome, you can directly remit to me through your bank card, but I need to make sure whether my card can receive US dollars. I need to go to the counter to consult, which may take some time, because it has been too hot in recent days, I don't want to go out, the air conditioner has given me life, hahaha. In addition, I will study ebay, I have never used it, please forgive me

Regarding capsule mounts, I've had good luck finding files for them like this or this. I'm sure there are other 3D model files readily available online like these. I've then used Treatstock to find a company/person/etc who can 3D print the models based on what materials I'd like, colors, whatever else... a lot of people on that site are very cheap and very fast.

Also following this post because I'm interested in some of the more "affordable" capsules for some cheap projects (MXL rebuilds) that I don't need to be super high end. I've used Mic Parts and Peluso before. Any recs? I ordered one of the no-name cheapo AliExpress capsules last year but it got destroyed in shipping.

Last edited:
I'm on my second DIY Tube mic with AA AK12 capsule and AA BV18 transformer. Everything works great, that mic delivers like a champ! Great product, normal prices and an amazing customer support. Plus they have EU shop!
I was looking into importing Chinese capsule from here on Ebay, they replied that capsule comes without plastic box and that is no no to me.
Other good option I came across is tab-funkenwerk.org. their CK12A capsule looks identical to AK12.
If i was dropping big $$ for capsule and Tim Cambel is not available BeesNeez CK12 would be mine second choice.

Cheers
Nen'O

Hi folks, I'm planning to build a few more large-diaphragm condensers. My ultimate goal is a C12 style vocal mic with a CT12 capsule, but Tim is backed up with pre-existing commitments and may not be able to fit me into his production schedule for several months.

So in the meantime, I'd like to test circuits with some cheaper capsules, that I'm *hoping* could still be usable long-term.

I've read here (from KingKorg) that 797 capsules are mil-grade spec and highly consistent, so that seems ideal. But is it possible to order a 797 capsule in a single quantity?

I know about WGTCenter, and have read about their tendency to get orders wrong. But that's my only backup plan. Or try a crapshoot with ebay.

Has anyone ordered a rando Chinese-made capsule and loved it for vocals? (not crazy sibilance?)

Thanks for your thoughts brethren, Matthew
There's no reason not to use 797 if you're getting a K67, unless you want a flat one from 3U.

CY002 model from 797 is best suited for use in u87/67 clones. It is closest in the response. It's the one with Philips screws, not the one found in B2, etc.

The edge terminated one won't give you ck12 response.

Last edited:
CY002 model from 797 is best suited for use in u87/67 clones. It is closest in the response. It's the one with Philips screws, not the one found in B2, etc.

The edge terminated one won't give you ck12 response.
Do you know a microphone that used the CY002?

Is the CY037 the capsule used in the B2, NT2 Classic I etc...?

What is the difference between them? Only tensioning?

Last edited:
Yes, cy037 is used in those. It has sharper Q of hf peak. It's closer to c800 than u87 capsule.
Not aware of any using CY002 besides Townsend labs sphere.

Tensioning has nothing to do with that. Tensioning determines just low end and somewhat sensitivity. You can not change upper frequency response by tensioning diaphragm differently, at least not substantially in this type of capsule.

These two have different spacers and hole dimensions.

This one seems to be CY002. Fair price as well.
Microphone Capsule 797 Audio K67 Type | Reverb

Last edited:
Another note is to beware inaccurate information from resellers, especially if they got their capsules from trading companies rather than directly from factories. For instance, JLI says that their tsc-1 and 2 capsules are from transound, but the tsc-1 is from aym and the 2 is from TakStar.

Transound doesn't sell its k67 outside special order at pretty large quantities. I've actually never seen a transound k67 in a microphone in my entire life, that's how uncommon they are.

Getting information on the actual capsule market in China is extremely difficult if you live on the outside, which is why basically the only genuinely accurate information I've seen about Chinese capsules in the last few threads about this has been from @ZHAOMENG

The takstar capsule is really good though and their price on it isn't the worst.

Last edited:
Oh yes. I REALLY want to hear about the OPR CK12 when you get a chance to sing through it. Right now I feel like Tim's CT12 is the only capsule guaranteed to replicate an original. And I haven't heard anything bad about the OPR so it might be in the same league.

Changing the subject: some inexpensive bodies arrived today. Way easier than the first body I built from a brass tube and mesh from McMaster-Carr. U87 style was $21 for anyone looking for a deal. Black body was $30.

View attachment 83044

Hi, did Manchez U87 body worked out for DIY U87? What PCB did you fit in it?
Those and WGT Center U87 mic body seems to be the most affordable option if D-87 PCB fits in there

thanks

It pretty much nails U87ai capsule curve. It does indeed seem it's the same capsule found in the Perception mics. However the grille and the circuit is the issue in those.

Back