What's the name of this circuit?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
squarewave said:
I didn't say the whole circuit was crap. As I pointed out in my original response, the send can't really drive even a regular 10K line without LF loss which IMO is kinda crappy.
With the standard 100k+ input Z of most guitar FX, -3dB at 7Hz is perfectly adequate for a guitar amp.

They use a lot of cathode / anode style phase inverter (there's a name for that, don't recall what it is but I mean not the standard LTP)
The cathodyne PI is a well-respected circuit. Fender used it in the 5E6 Bassman, for example.

and they use cathode bias a lot.
As Vox does in the AC30!

But for high gain / high wattage those are not the best design options IMO.
This amp is a 15-watter.

Ah, cathodyne. That's right. But the LTP is just way better. It has better supply noise rejection. It overdrives really nice. And it naturally supports feedback from the OT which is kinda important for a clean amp.

This Dark Terror thing is obviously for bedroom metal sounds with five (5) cold preamp gain sections and that "shape" control and a wimpy output. But again, I think that's a goof. My impression has always been that large grid stoppers on a negative bias output created the swirling roar of a metal amp because the tubes rectify the grid current limiting and charge up the coupling caps making it into an envelope filter of sorts. But I'm not playing Black Sabbath anymore so whatever.

The original Mathew Mathias Orange amps do sound good , Ive personally witnessed the OD 120 and the 120 combo , different to a Marshall or Hiwatt yeah but still good . The split load phase invertor does have a swirley/phasey charachter to it when overdriven .

Latest posts

Back