What's the truth ... about Tube connections.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Analog_Fan

Their datasheets say "clokcwise" counting as seen from above.

6AQ5A
6AQ5A - datasheet.jpeg

so that's what i did when i made the 6AQ5A tube footprint/component in eagle.

But the using the public available eagle tube library from GitHub and select the 12AX7, it's counted counterclockwise.

Screenshot from 2022-03-29 18-27-17.pngScreenshot from 2022-03-29 18-22-36.png

What's correct? for both.

does the datasheet reveal the tube as seen from below?

It quite clearly says on the original datasheet that the clockwise rotation is for the BOTTOM VIEW. This is because in point to point construction that is the way the base normally is viewed.

Cheers

Ian

Ive always approached tube pinouts as if Im looking at the underside of the socket , its the most logical way , then again if its all relatively new to you no reason not to ask , wire things up the wrong way ,you wont be long finding out! . If you happen to have a tube with the nomenclature rubbed out or cant identify what it is ,make a diagram and work through the various electrodes visually and with the use of a meter to determine the heaters low resistance should get you in the right ball park in terms of what your dealing with .

Ive always approached tube pinouts as if Im looking at the underside of the socket , its the most logical way , then again if its all relatively new to you no reason not to ask , wire things up the wrong way ,you wont be long finding out! . If you happen to have a tube with the nomenclature rubbed out or cant identify what it is ,make a diagram and work through the various electrodes visually and with the use of a meter to determine the heaters low resistance should get you in the right ball park in terms of what your dealing with .
it's my first attempt to build something with tubes.
You look down to IC's and compare with the datasheet.

Thanks

Latest posts

Back