When is GND GND?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kkrafs

When is GND GND? :green:

Is there a international standard for defining GND? :green:
Perhaps a gnd potential stored in a safe in Paris
somewhere, just as with the meter? :green:

When is 0V 0V? :green:

Can you have voltage but no current? :green:
And can you have current but no voltage? :green:

Gyraf, the questions is to bee seen more out of a philosophical wiev!

krdfs

True--I must add, however, that my ground at home is the best sounding I have found so far. More open, cleaner and live-like--don't let me start on the stereo image! No comparison with those cheap Chinese grounds. Please don't ask, I'm not selling! :razz:

Samuel

Just buy some gallons of C37 laquer and spread all over your home or studio ground. Inwards and outside. It will make noise floor MUCH lower. I just feel an overall efect of being much closer to the music. It´s like having a real piano inside my room. There´s certainly much more detail throught all the spectrum of the audio band, with a partircular sweetness of the highs. More detph of soundstage and air arround instruments.

But don´t forget to use only $5k minimum AC power cables or you won´t hear the difference. No cheap Brazilian cables! Also, wait up to 5 years for the C37 laquer to break-in after you apply it in your garden and room ground, before you can hear all the effects it can produce... If you want really the best, you can also use C37 in the walls and furniture of your room for the ultimate killer musical experience...

You won´t regret.

These learned sages here will attempt to tell you electrons flow from minus to plus.

Yet, I've never seen a bolt of lightning come out of the ground and shoot skyward, so I'm having doubts.

I mean, that would be coming from Ground, right?

actually i have seen lightning shoot from ground to sky. i saw a discovery channel special where a guy with fast film captured it. there is a tendril that starts from the groung and travels up less than 10-20 feet then the sky meets it there. really interesting stuff.

yeah, in fact that scene where they launch the rocket with a wire to ground shows that. the fiber-optic launch control mechanism from the bunker to the pad seemed like good engineering also!

>"When is GND GND?" this might be one case where ground is ground, actually.

yes the charge actually forms from the ground upwards first even though the actual arc forms the other way. there are usually around 5 flashes that travel roughly the same path but we see them as one because of the speed. so to say that lightning doesn't strike the same place twice is false..

lightning can also shoot upwards from a cloud as seen from space..

We had some sideways lightening not too long ago.
Never seen that. Looked to be about a 20 mile long blast over the east bay, from about Hayward to Fremont.

Don't forget thermionic emmision. We heat the cathode, not the plate.

Yeah well, I didn't want to drift too far away from the original question.

If you took a piece of wood and built a circuit, using just wires to connect everything, some circuits would probably work.

Because all the circuit paths that require voltage and current to flow thru them would be there.

If you took the contents of this circuit and placed it in a metal chassis, many of those wires could be replaced with paths thru the metal chassis in place of wires. You could connect all the negative paths to the chassis or..in some cases, all the positive ones. And it would still work. (generalizing).

So ground in the chassis sense is just a common point for measuring the opposite polarity from. And would have the same voltages and currents travelling thru it that mere wires would.

The secret to my ulta low noise floor lies 4 feet below your eyes... See that plant its very ...em very special you see ...ahem and it is right next to the balanced ETR1.5 with a proprietary star grounding system. An wait...when I flick this switch, check this out..... .... ... .

... ....AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA HHHHHHH- OUCH

wait this isn't the brewery lol :wink: :thumb:

GND is GND whien it is very close to the Bodhi tree's trunk but not the roots.

or GND is not the sound of one hand clapping, since the other has not been scorched.[/i]

I'm late coming in to this thread..... It's a passion of mine.....
Ground is NEVER ground; so once again I'm agreeing with PRR. :?

As I've said previously, in the old Alice mixer company days we used to wander around muttering 'Earth is not Earth!' It's the most important aspect of practical professional audio!! :guinness: :guinness:

Latest posts

Back