Where does the bass get cut off in this amp circuit?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The problem is, it leaves you with a clean sound like this below. Which isn’t "bad", but it’s not really the typical fender’y sound. Midrange’y and kind of dark, without that big fender bottom that’s so nice for clean playing.
The typical Fender sound comes from a quite significant midrange notch (-15dB!) at about 500-600Hz. Nothing in the above schemo implements that.
In addition, the "Pre" stage (R24/25) produces a mid boost of more than 5dB at the minimum position.
You would need a major rework for fixing it.
Of course it would start with increasing C13, as others have already said.
I would suggest you mod this "Pre" stage according to the attached schemo. -dB at Hz. I believe the amp has enough gain to compensate for clean sound, but won't overdrive easily.Sidekick mod.jpg

Last edited:
Hi, thanks guys. Sorry, I’ve been sick.

I had jumpered things around a bit (going from foggy memory), jumped after the preamp into the presence circuit, that definitely helped the weird voicing/bottom, also had to grab the reverb feed pre eq.

Better sound, yes, but CRAZY loud, and still leaves room for improvement. Got sick and haven’t gotten back to it. At this point I’m debating just gutting it and using some transformers I have lying around to make a little 2x6v6 thing.

We’ll see. Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back