Where to buy complete U47 kits

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TBP

Hi Guys,

Been looking around for complete ( or mostly complete ) kits for u47 type mics and not finding anything in the US that are available. I’m more than happy to use multiple venders to source as well. Any thoughts ?

Thanks in advance
Kieran
The buddy Project

let's keep away from mic&mod, please?
Sketchy situation over there. Agreed…

+1 on poctop mechanical kits.

Top shelf would be flea mechanical kits but that’s an arm and a leg price wise. Danys are pretty much at that level anyway but I think the body tubes are slightly longer than original IIRC.

I think don audio still fulfills skyler equinox bodies too.

Sketchy situation over there. Agreed…

+1 on poctop mechanical kits.

. Danys are pretty much at that level anyway but I think the body tubes are slightly longer than original IIRC.

What website is Dany/ Poctop ? thanks

Do you have a capsule in mind yet? Do you know what circuit design you want to go with?

I am in love with my poctop d-ef47 with the ef800 tube. I went with a neumann k47 capsule back when they were selling the as spare parts. For the body, I put mine in a skylar equinox ... this was before Dany had the sexy true to form bodies available.

Excited to see what you come up with.

Do you have a capsule in mind yet? Do you know what circuit design you want to go with?
Im a big fan of the M7... but really interested in 2-4 of @soliloqueen 's "flat capsules. I have at my studio a Soundelux e47, Um70, and not mine but living here. Flea47 ( 7 type capsule ) Flea49 and Flea 12. Also can't say enough good things about my Tul f47s.... remind me of old school 87s.
I am in love with my poctop d-ef47 with the ef800 tube. I went with a neumann k47 capsule back when they were selling the as spare parts. For the body, I put mine in a skylar equinox ...
Thats is exactly what I'm thinking... My main reason for wanting these is to me able to repair them for the next 40 years with a local tech. without bad mouthing guilty parties Ive have some very bad experiences with repairs on a few mics over the years. the goal over the next 2 years .... 2 u47 type 2 Elam 251 ( or possibly c12 ) 2 Fet47 type mics.... to be my go to mics ( along with my Tul f47s and my @Bonzai_Musik 84s that i got the parts from @Wouterplop that are in use already.
this was before Dany had the sexy true to form bodies available.
I dropped Dany an email waiting on his reply.
Excited to see what you come up with.

Here is a link to handful of songs Ive made over the years

Im a big fan of the M7... but really interested in 2-4 of @soliloqueen 's "flat capsules. I have at my studio a Soundelux e47, Um70, and not mine but living here. Flea47 ( 7 type capsule ) Flea49 and Flea 12. Also can't say enough good things about my Tul f47s.... remind me of old school 87s.
Dang, you're rolling deep.. so you'll have some good references for what a 47 should sound like. Did you get the "ef814" upgrade from David bock? or is it one of the older ones with the submini tube in it? I've never heard the flea mics personally but have always wanted to hear them as they have a fantastic reputation. I have a soundelux e47 myself, my very first tube mic! It sounded great, but even more amazing after it got the upgrade at bock in 2018.

I too am on the waitlist for @soliloqueen 's flat capsules too. Looking forward to hear those beasts. Almost 3 for the price of 1 thiersh m7... its definitely worth a try. Does your 49 have a k47/49 style in it or an m7 style?

I've had some questionable experiences in the past with repair techs too... mics coming back with new problems, dings in the finish of the body, even one time my capsule came back with a solder hole in it ;(... So handling these things ourselves or with a local guy we have a relationship is totally understandable.

Almost 3 for the price of 1 thiersh m7... its definitely worth a try.
it should be noted that the flat k47 is flat. the Thiersch has a bit of a shelf down in the air that gives it that distinct sound. the flat k47 is much more extended than an M7 or a normal k47. it only matches the m7 from the low mids through the treble. the bass and air extension is much greater, and those differences can make it sound considerably different depending on what you're recording. it kind of sounds like an SDC in some ways. very weird capsule, probably the strangest behavior i've seen out of a LDC. you'll see when you get it.

Should it be designed around with a feedback network to tune response? I guess I just need to find out...
it should be noted that the flat k47 is flat. the Thiersch has a bit of a shelf down in the air that gives it that distinct sound. the flat k47 is much more extended than an M7 or a normal k47. it only matches the m7 from the low mids through the treble. the bass and air extension is much greater, and those differences can make it sound considerably different depending on what you're recording. it kind of sounds like an SDC in some ways. very weird capsule, probably the strangest behavior i've seen out of a LDC. you'll see when you get it.

Should it be designed around with a feedback network to tune response? I guess I just need to find out...
No not really…that is being used to tame overly bright capsules, to make them “flatter”. The actual Neumann k47 has much more extended high end than most replicas

@TBP are you specifically looking for a paint by numbers?

Are you set on a U47 clone?

I built an EF80x U47 with a Beesneez K7 and a Moby BV.08. It sounds great. I tried a Maiku K47 in there but preferred the K7. There's a certain vocal style that the EF47 suits well and has a front-of-mix mojo. When it works it's great.

My M49b with a Beesneez M7, 5840 and Moby BV.11 doesn't have that front-of-mix mojo but has more of a "tubey" sound and is more versatile than the EF47. Works on nearly every vocal and so many instruments. Great on sax.

Dang, you're rolling deep.. so you'll have some good references for what a 47 should sound like. Did you get the "ef814" upgrade from David bock? or is it one of the older ones with the submini tube in it?
mine is one with the Submini's. Though this mic sounds fabulous its been problematic for me to keep working. The u47s would be replacing it.
heres a track with the vocal and Acoustic that used it.

I've never heard the flea mics personally but have always wanted to hear them as they have a fantastic reputation.
These mics are fantastic, they are not mine personally and sadly a bit out of range budget for me. plus most importantly is
complete schematics for my main Mics going forward.
I have a soundelux e47 myself, my very first tube mic! It sounded great, but even more amazing after it got the upgrade at bock in 2018.

I too am on the waitlist for @soliloqueen 's flat capsules too. Looking forward to hear those beasts. Almost 3 for the price of 1 thiersh m7... its definitely worth a try. Does your 49 have a k47/49 style in it or an m7 style?
@kingkorg 's graph of @soliloqueen looks exactly what I've been looking for in a k47 capsule. if all goes well I think Ill also drop a pair of these into a pair of Studio projects B1's that punch well above their weight in a utility mic.

I've had some questionable experiences in the past with repair techs too... mics coming back with new problems, dings in the finish of the body, even one time my capsule came back with a solder hole in it ;(... So handling these things ourselves or with a local guy we have a relationship is totally understandable.
I will avoid airing dirty laundry but I've had enough of those experiences that "rolling my own" tube microphones is the only path forward. Having mics that don't work that cost more than my car ( ok its a cheap car :p ) is not something acceptable moving for me.

@TBP are you specifically looking for a paint by numbers?

Are you set on a U47 clone?

I built an EF80x U47 with a Beesneez K7 and a Moby BV.08. It sounds great. I tried a Maiku K47 in there but preferred the K7. There's a certain vocal style that the EF47 suits well and has a front-of-mix mojo. When it works it's great.

My M49b with a Beesneez M7, 5840 and Moby BV.11 doesn't have that front-of-mix mojo but has more of a "tubey" sound and is more versatile than the EF47. Works on nearly every vocal and so many instruments. Great on sax.
Honestly still in process on this but being I gravitate to the 47 over the 49 regularly so probably focusing on that.

Back