Where to buy complete U47 kits

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mine is one with the Submini's. Though this mic sounds fabulous its been problematic for me to keep working. The u47s would be replacing it.
heres a track with the vocal and Acoustic that used it.
What are the issues with it? Maybe we can replace the sub mini… or just upgrade that to an EF tube.

What are the issues with it? Maybe we can replace the sub mini… or just upgrade that to an EF tube.
Replaced the Submini, did not solve the problem, had all kinds of issues with the power supply. ( I think those were sorted by Michael Blackmer ( Lovely guy ) ). next step is to change out the capsule as nearly everything else has been looked at ( though blindly as I do not have a schematic ( which I was refused when I requested it from the tech to sort it locally ). The microphone has functionally been a paper weight for years now.

Honestly still in process on this but being I gravitate to the 47 over the 49 regularly so probably focusing on that.
If you are set on a 47, then I would suggest sticking to Dany's 47 body kit. If he stock now, obviously you're set. If you have to wait, I would say it's worth the wait.

If you are set on a 47, then I would suggest sticking to Dany's 47 body kit. If he stock now, obviously you're set. If you have to wait, I would say it's worth the wait.
This might be a silly question but, What makes Dany's Body kit superior to AMI's Mechanical kit or something like the studio939 MK47 body with a Morby transformer?

The AMI kit looks very nice. Biggest difference is Dany's kit has an actual mechanical switch. Its head is identical to an actual U47 allowing for easy capsule swaps but that doesn't give much advantage if you don't have a U47 to swap with.

I built mine to have variable patterns then the back capsule is switched on. Cardioid only when the switch is disconnected. I modified mine to have U47 voltages though, instead of U48. This can also be acheived with a relay if you want to go with an AMI power supply.

This might be a silly question but, What makes Dany's Body kit superior to AMI's Mechanical kit or something like the studio939 MK47 body with a Morby transformer?
I know Flea has kits n my U47’s,m49,C-12’s n FET47’s are Neumann vintage spot on.For I have a Neumann M249 that just sits in the locker parked away.Tried to build my own. I’ve a 67 I hope turns out but Flea is perfect IMO.Cheers all

@LincolnBL Do you know if Flea has a guide to build their kits?

@TBP if you buy from Dany would you mind letting me know what you swap for the out of stock parts? I really want to do his kits but the Mouser cart has a lot of unavailable parts and I'm not confident I would buy the right replacements.

Thanks! Really also want to build a complete kit 47.

The AMI kit looks very nice. Biggest difference is Dany's kit has an actual mechanical switch. Its head is identical to an actual U47 allowing for easy capsule swaps but that doesn't give much advantage if you don't have a U47 to swap with.

I built mine to have variable patterns then the back capsule is switched on. Cardioid only when the switch is disconnected. I modified mine to have U47 voltages though, instead of U48. This can also be acheived with a relay if you want to go with an AMI power supply.
Regarding the AMI U47 kit, this information is incorrect. If you visit www.tab-funkenwerk.com you will discover U47 or U48 headbasket with mechanical switch options, available for a few years now. All AMI's U47 mechanical parts are 100% compatible with historic Tele/Neumann U47/48.
Dany's kit is taller, so the body and 3 rails are not historically compatible. Fairly sure all other parts in Dany's kit are compatible.

Unfortunately AMI's mic kits are backordered, so not currently an option.
Also for clarity, you do not specifically need a AMI PSU to incorporate a relay in the circuit.

As many of you know Dany is a nice guy and if he has the parts in stock it's a good option. Flea is also a good option, and fairly sure Flea's mechanical parts are also historically compatible.

These are 3 best options for a proper DIY U47/48.

@TBP if you buy from Dany would you mind letting me know what you swap for the out of stock parts? I really want to do his kits but the Mouser cart has a lot of unavailable parts and I'm not confident I would buy the right replacements.

Contact Ivan at Flea.I’m fairly sure they do have everything you need schematic wise to build a 47,48,49,12(it is spot on AKG C-12 w Tim Campbell 12 capsule).I use for vocals n acoustic instruments n on grand piano all Flea mics.I’ve been offered 15,000€ for my Neumann M249.It is never used but I’m keeping it unless some collector has to have it.But I’m saying the Flea mics are perfect.I do have 2 Bock 251s n 1 Soundelux but the Flea mics are what I end up using.I did some bk’n vocals w 251 and sure the Bock’s are lovely.I love Flea for their accessibility,Ivan has been beyond kind but build is Perfect.Never spent over $3000 for a Flea(Flexible Audio)mic.Robert Plant bought 3,4 but insisted (from my dealer)that the Flea diamond badges were replaced w Neumann’s😂.Didn’t like the name-{wanker

Replaced the Submini, did not solve the problem, had all kinds of issues with the power supply. ( I think those were sorted by Michael Blackmer ( Lovely guy ) ). next step is to change out the capsule as nearly everything else has been looked at ( though blindly as I do not have a schematic ( which I was refused when I requested it from the tech to sort it locally ). The microphone has functionally been a paper weight for years now.
Know anyone (other than the tech) who could trace the schematic? One would think the mic would present more trouble than a power supply but a bad power supply should be easier to fix than a bad mic... There is not that much to a NG type supply...

I’m sure they do.Ask Ivan Hako at Flea.Cheers

Back