Which transformer can be used for which application?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhilipMarlowe

Hey there,

not sure if this is the right sub to post it but I'm confused about impedances and gain structure in signal flow/circuit design. When can I use which transformer for which application? I'm aware that certain mismatches screw up the frequency response ( say plugging line level into a mic input).
Is there any resource where I can read this up in regards to audio or is it mostly just trial and error to see what fits what?

I'm considering modding my mixer's transformers with different ones and am looking which one would fit the bill. From a sonic standpoint I'm loving what the Lundahl 1538 seems to do to the sound, specifically the high frequencies.

Any help is appreciated- thank you!

PhilipMarlowe said:
Hey there,

not sure if this is the right sub to post it but I'm confused about impedances and gain structure in signal flow/circuit design. When can I use which transformer for which application? I'm aware that certain mismatches screw up the frequency response ( say plugging line level into a mic input).
Is there any resource where I can read this up in regards to audio or is it mostly just trial and error to see what fits what?

I'm considering modding my mixer's transformers with different ones and am looking which one would fit the bill. From a sonic standpoint I'm loving what the Lundahl 1538 seems to do to the sound, specifically the high frequencies.

Any help is appreciated- thank you!
The most important factor is inductance. The combination of too low an inductance with the source resistance results in a high-pass filter (kills bass), but too high an inductance is generally accompanied with excessive leakage inductance and parasitic capacitance, which results in low-pass filter (kills treble).
In addition too low  primary inductance can be difficult to drive (risks of overload/ current limiting).
You must learn about inductance, then extend to transformers, and view that in the general context of voltages and currents in typical circuits.
There is a certain dose of trial and error, but it still is science.

abbey road d enfer said:
The most important factor is inductance. The combination of too low an inductance with the source resistance results in a high-pass filter (kills bass), but too high an inductance is generally accompanied with excessive leakage inductance and parasitic capacitance, which results in low-pass filter (kills treble).
In addition too low  primary inductance can be difficult to drive (risks of overload/ current limiting).
You must learn about inductance, then extend to transformers, and view that in the general context of voltages and currents in typical circuits.
There is a certain dose of trial and error, but it still is science.

With inductance do you mean impedance or voltage?
Is there some resource where I can read up?

Thank you

PhilipMarlowe said:
With inductance do you mean impedance or voltage?
Inductance is an intrinsic parameter like resistance or capacitance.

Is there some resource where I can read up?
You must read about basic components, resistors, capacitors and inductors, and learn what they do when submitted to electricity. Googling "inductance" gets hundreds of pages.

Latest posts

Back