Whistle Rock Audio ML12 preamp BUILD/HELP thread!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Build is coming along nicely. I'm in no hurry so I am taking my time with final assembly. I used to geek out and if I had a day off, I would spend 12+ hours glued to my bench working on things, and my neck and back would pay the next morning.

Anyway, because I'm an idiot, when I ordered the panels, I didn't double check the rear panel XLR cutouts, and just assumed they would be Neutrik D-Series which are the ones I like to use (I know, my bad, hence the idiot part). Turns out they were not D-Series, so I just found out my friend Pat bought a small milling machine, and we were able to mill the holes to accept D-Series. So it all turned out well, and nobody would know any better if I didn't tell them.

I was actually out of zip-tie anchors, so I had to order some of those before I can finish this up. Gotta keep the wiring neat.

Anyway, here's that milled panel with some XLRs in, and a couple that aren't so you can see what we did.

Attachments

• fixed panel XLRs.jpg
    fixed panel XLRs.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 56
I did some fabrication, and got the AC wired, and the power supply mounted and wired as well. I installed one module and got that going, and it works great. I'll do all 3 other channels tomorrow, and possibly the DI boards. We shall see.

Attachments

• partially wired.jpg
    partially wired.jpg
    255.5 KB · Views: 39
With this enclosure, the bottom and top of the enclosure are made of aluminum, and it's not super thick (the sides are steel). In this ML12 build, there are 9 transformers and the weight was making the bottom sag. The enclosure has screw holes in the front and rear middle of the panels in case you wanted to do something to add support, so I made two custom brackets to work with the hardware on each panel to support the bottom. Here are closeups of the rear bracket, and both of them in place (I forgot to take a glamour photo of the front bracket before I mounted it).

Attachments

• bracket 1.jpg
    bracket 1.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 26
  • bracket 2.jpg
    bracket 2.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 20
  • rear bracket_closeup.jpg
    rear bracket_closeup.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 21
  • front bracket_closeup.jpg
    front bracket_closeup.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Looks pretty good, congrats.

Do you have to photos of the front panel?

It would be great to see how it turned out
OK. Here you go. Front and back.

The front panel isn't done quite yet. The DI in channel 4 needs to be installed. No big deal. Will take about 90 seconds. The only reason I didn't install it yet is because I need to run the 4 indicator LEDs for the 4 power rails on the right, and I need the room to work.

Attachments

• Front Panel.jpg
    Front Panel.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 32
  • Rear Panel.jpg
    Rear Panel.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 39
The relay coil impedance checked out against the datasheet. They say Japan on them. I haven't built it yet. Waiting on my transformers to be wound. I have everything else but the power supply chassis and some attunators from capi.

was a lot easier than you'd think. Just start on channel 1 and build your way forward. I added a lot of "extras" too (meters, extra switches, DI switchable since i put the input jacks in the back and have them permenantly wired to my patchbay and normalled to my synths and transformer ratio switch).

was a lot easier than you'd think. Just start on channel I1 and build your way forward. I added a lot of "extras" too (meters, extra switches, DI switchable since i put the input jacks in the back and have them permenantly wired to my patchbay and normalled to my synths and transformer ratio switch).
Imma stick with my 6 channel with no DIs for now! Maybe I'll be that motivated in the version after that! :)

Back