Who decided on +/-18v

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
fwiw the "HV" opamps I mentioned are used with such a supply arrangement as the input signal is switching +/- several hundreds of Volts (sitting on a bias voltage that may be in the magnitude of big kVs)
I remember reading some years ago an application note to implement a regular op-amp with kilovolt rails. Can't remember where it was or the manufacturer: Linear Technology? Analog Devices? Texas? I would have to check. I am still young, but I guess I am entering an age were stuff in my memory starts to get 'filed' rather than being readily available.

Last edited:
Where is that circuit from ? It's very much along the lines of circuits I deal with in my (non-audio) employment.
Looks like something someone would do for marketing reasons.

IIRC there was a Rupert Neve Designs console with 120 V supplies.

Edit: I searched on Google, and noticed that there is a RND console with 90V supplies (I think it is +/- 45V, but the brochure keeps thing simple and doesn't specify).

Last edited:
Looks like something someone would do for marketing reasons.

IIRC there was a Rupert Neve Designs console with 120 V supplies.

Edit: I searched on Google, and noticed that there is a RND console with 90V supplies (I think it is +/- 45V, but the brochure keeps thing simple and doesn't specify).

Yeah - there's always the headroom issue - but it's probably all going to get squished down to ADC input levels at the end point.
fwiw my professional applications run SEM microscopes so the HV is a requirement.

I don’t quite have my head around the GE BA-5 tube limiter that’s +/-300V. Memory is audio path is + and side chain is -. But tubes are another story.

Back