Why are there so few boutique SDC capsule manufacturers?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not sure i understand what you are talking about, but sure, if you like it that way rock on. Maybe you try the same with km84 front grille, serves the same purpose. I was just warning others to be aware of the effect before removing it.

You're seriously equating these?:

Apple and oranges. Totally different effects on the sound. The Primo plate gives it a top-lift and makes it less directional at very high frequencies (at the expense of a roughness in the top end) - the Neumann many-holes over the entire area of the diaphrgam does not. Being much thicker and having holes over the entire area, makes any diffreaction effects far less audible than the Primo's thin plate with fewer, larger holes only around the edge.

It's easy enough to put back in if you don't care for the effect without it.

Attachments

• KM84.jpg
    KM84.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 12
  • DSCN0846.JPG
    DSCN0846.JPG
    250.9 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
You're seriously equating these?:

Apple and oranges. Totally different effects on the sound. The Primo plate gives it a top-lift and makes it less directional at very high frequencies (at the expense of a roughness in the top end) - the Neumann many-holes over the entire area of the diaphrgam does not. Being much thicker and having holes over the entire area, makes any diffreaction effects far less audible than the Primo's thin plate with fewer, larger holes only around the edge.

It's easy enough to put back in if you don't care for the effect without it.
BTW the Neumann grid is very thin. It appears thick because it is raised a few 10ths of a mm above the membrane plus you cannot remove it because the membrane is glued to it.

These 2 parts would have very different effect on the freq. response and output of the capsule. I would guess the Primo plates main function is to limit plosives from it's layout.

Last edited:
Yes, but they are modified to the point they have nothing in common with the stock one. I bought several em200 in order to mod them in same fashion for my own projects. Gave up in the end, it was way too labour intensive, made no sense having the CM4 price in mind. CM4 has additional KM84 style grille in front which alters the sound, and a chamber in the back. The circuit is also huge part of the equation.
Does Line Audio replace the EM200's internal FET?

Latest posts

Back