Why?(Biggus Transformerus Gigantigus)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iomegaman

GDIY Supporter
So I ended up picking up a sine wave generator and oscilloscope for $30 this weekend and it came with a huge transformer as part of the deal...guy was moving and needed to get rid of it...weighs a ton its huge...apparently for either 100 or 110 volts...
The company is Israeli and makes electro-optical test systems for things like lasers and missile detection/etc...
Is it just an extremely robust isolation transformer?

https://www.ci-systems.com/Home

Attachments

• IMG_1037.jpeg
    IMG_1037.jpeg
    117.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 4708D0C8-7F00-41A8-9BD9-3A9E7714C75C.png
    4708D0C8-7F00-41A8-9BD9-3A9E7714C75C.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 3
we used to have something very similar in my old studio. I cant quite get the scale of it from the picture but, basically the power coming into the building would go thru that thing first and then to a panel which fed the outlets in the studio. Was supposed to isolate the studio's power from any crap on the mains voltage.

My guess to the original question about why a big iso transformer is fairly simple ,
it acts as a filter ,helping reduce the chances of noise from the equipment down stream getting back into the supply or noise on the supply itself getting into the equipment , there might also be particular grounding arrangements and galavanic isolation required with the machinery , feck only knows what their upto out in the desert , run a Gieger over it for giggles n shits

I do see a few Ebay adds for huge tube output transformers from the Holy Land ,
The same kind of C core as you have , it looks like they interleave the sections with PTFE tape
Maybe you could rewind it as a massive single ended output transformer and use a transmitter tube to drive it . Be easy to mount up a few tubes on the enclosure and box the psu up on a separate chassis .
The 400W KT88 amp might be another option with a more reasonable HT requirement .

In any case your standard 600v catIII bench meter is a bit marginal for poking around inside something like this ,a differential HT probe is probably the best bet , Ive been wanting one of those for a while .

Last edited:
Holy crap some of those cabinets are 700 lbs...this thing is only 12"X 9" X 8"...still thats a lot of copper in the copper state.
I'm like a "usable junk" magnet...always finding this crap.

We had a buzz problem on the announcement system in one of our venues. That problem had always been there and it seemed nobody could fix it. The system also has a number of Sony Mavica TVs on it, sitting in the lobby, besides the tiny power amp.

One day, I picked up a big iso transformer, just for the heck of it. It's 30 KVA, I seem to remember. As it was just sitting there, a colleague hooked it up to the announcement system and the buzz was gone. It's been replaced by a 1 KVA one, as the big one was kind of ridiculous on a 25 W audio power system. It's been fine for six years now.

I would say that's a keeper.

High quality isolation transformers don't come cheap.
Yea this came with an older Tektronix analog oscilloscope and a RF function generator, it was SUPPOSED to have a multifunction generator in the deal but when I got there he had already sold it or given it away...all for $30...kid was moving and trying to make some quick cash on an old roommates junk left about...the advantage of living in an avionics college town and scanning facebook.

Latest posts

Back