Why do 7 pin tube sockets have such long legs?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rock soderstrom

Tour de France
I wonder why my 7 pin sockets have such long legs? This almost equalizes the size advantage over noval tubes. Stupid.

Yes, you could make the holes bigger so the top part of the legs fits too and thus the socket can be installed deeper overall. But my current solder pads don't allow for that, they become disproportionately large as a result.

Has anyone seen any with shorter legs?

20221128_225611.jpg

Last edited:
It really depends on the socket manufacturer and how the valve is to be mounted.
If you feel so inclined, you could remove the pins and reshape the ends to fit lower down. A good set of side cutters will sort that out.

It really depends on the socket manufacturer and how the valve is to be mounted.
You are right, I found some with short legs, unfortunately only in China. I'll keep looking, maybe I'll find another supplier in Germany, if not I'll order the sockets in China.
f you feel so inclined, you could remove the pins and reshape the ends to fit lower down. A good set of side cutters will sort that out.
Would work, is only a little elaborate if you want to build a few preamps.

Thanks for your feedback.

Edit:

Sometimes the good is so close! I must have missed that offer last night. Good old Banzai has these sockets for sale.

https://www.banzaimusic.com/tube-socket-7-pin-pc-mount-sku58617.html

Last edited:
The pins on the Banzai don't look really different to me, they're just bend outwards more.

Bend out the pins on the sockets you have and fold them back so the pins fit the holes., that's what I would attempt to do.

The pins on the Banzai don't look really different to me, they're just bend outwards more.

Bend out the pins on the sockets you have and fold them back so the pins fit the holes., that's what I would attempt to do.
The installation depth is smaller, the base itself is also smaller in diameter, so they fit (hopefully) in the same footprints with the outward bent feet.

Bending the feet by hand is suboptimal, since the structure is already a bit unstable (compared to good Noval sockets) and I want to build a few of these preamps, which would then be more time-consuming.

I'll check the Banzai sockets and then give feedback here.

Has anyone seen any with shorter legs?

Personally I never used 7 pin sockets, but if I had your sockets and wanted to make them flush on the pcb I would enlarge the hole, or if not possible, I would file the pins on the sider or cut them on the sides to make them fit inside the holes.

Anyway the 7 Pin socket for sale in Banzai has definitely shorter Pins than the socket you showed, it would be almost flush on the pcb after install:

https://www.banzaimusic.com/tube-socket-7-pin-pc-mount-sku58617.html
Screen Shot 2022-12-01 at 23.01.29.png

Back