Wiring this Antek toroid transformer

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FarisElek

For some reason this transformer is confusing me.

The main confusing thing for me is that one of the secondaries is labeled 0v, while the other of the same color is not labeled at all.

Also, I individually measured the first white and first yellow secondary with earth ground as the reference. Separately they are each measured at about 200v. I thought each pair was supposed to be 200v together. What's the deal?

I'm trying to power two separate two preamp channels that each need a center-tapped 200v for the HV and a center-tapped 6.3v for the HT. Can someone help me make this work?

Ryan

Attachments

• AS_1T200__27638.1387573636.1280.1280.jpg
    AS_1T200__27638.1387573636.1280.1280.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 26
FarisElek said:
For some reason this transformer is confusing me.

The main confusing thing for me is that one of the secondaries is labeled 0v, while the other of the same color is not labeled at all.

Also, I individually measured the first white and first yellow secondary with earth ground as the reference. Separately they are each measured at about 200v. I thought each pair was supposed to be 200v together. What's the deal?

I'm trying to power two separate two preamp channels that each need a center-tapped 200v for the HV and a center-tapped 6.3v for the HT. Can someone help me make this work?
You need a center-tapped secondary if you have only 2 diodes. With a 4-diode bridge, you don't need a center tap.

FarisElek said:
4 diodes.

Also, meant to upload that image.
OK, that means you can run 4 separate voltages (2 HT and 2 heaters). That will prevent interaction between channels and hum loops.
You need two bridges and two reservoir caps. Each yellow/white pair should go to a bridge, there is no distinction between yellow and white (except the colour of course). Just make sure each pair has galvanic continuity (i.e. ensuring it's the start and end of a same winding).

abbey road d enfer said:
OK, that means you can run 4 separate voltages (2 HT and 2 heaters). That will prevent interaction between channels and hum loops.
You need two bridges and two reservoir caps. Each yellow/white pair should go to a bridge, there is no distinction between yellow and white (except the colour of course). Just make sure each pair has galvanic continuity (i.e. ensuring it's the start and end of a same winding).

Great. I've got that all squared away already then.

My question though, is it normal that the white and the yellow are both outputting 200v (presumably 400v for the pair). Because as far as I can tell each HT pair should be 200v, no?

Ryan

FarisElek said:
Great. I've got that all squared away already then.

My question though, is it normal that the white and the yellow are both outputting 200v (presumably 400v for the pair). Because as far as I can tell each HT pair should be 200v, no?

Ryan
One secondary goes to one bridge and one reservoir cap; THE OTHER GOES TO THE OTHER BRIDGE AND THE OTHER RESERVOIR CAP.

Back