Wish you were here , Pink floyd , released 46 years ago today

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tubetec

I found I had to rediscover the early Barrett era Floyd before fully appreciating their later stuff .
Despite the limitations of the recording/playback medium back in the 70's , very little in the modern era comes near in terms of sound or team work in the studio .

One of the signs of age is being comfortable admitting things you never would have when you were younger. I'm sure I'll be roasted here, but despite trying time and time again, I'm conformable admitting I just never got Pink Floyd.

DSOM, Animals, WYWH just somehow never invoked a shred of interest in me and the albums seemed to drag on and on no matter how many times I tried to keep an open mind.

Frankly the only thing I ever got from Pink Floyd was a sense that inflatable pigs with antagonistic and sometimes offensive slogans were an indulgent distraction from a certain band member who didn't appear to be quite as musical as his keyboardist and guitarist bandmates.

I respect everyone's musical tastes but this is one band that is just lost on me

Peace out:)

Last edited:
One of the signs of age is being comfortable admitting things you never would have when you were younger. I'm sure I'll be roasted here, but despite trying time and time again, I'm conformable admitting I just never got Pink Floyd.

DSOM, Animals, WYWH just somehow never invoked a shred of interest in me and the albums seemed to drag on and on no matter how many times I tried to keep an open mind.

Frankly the only thing I ever got from Pink Floyd was a sense that inflatable pigs with antagonistic and sometimes offensive slogans were an indulgent distraction from a certain band member who didn't appear to be quite as musical as his keyboardist and guitarist bandmates.

I respect everyone's musical tastes but this is one band that is just lost on me

Peace out:)

That's OK. I never got Elvis, most of the Rolling Stones' music or the early Beatles. I love Pink Floyd, even though I grew up in the late 80s / 90s.

OK then, here goes: My admission is that I say ABBA had some damn fine pop songs that sounded good on the radio.

Ha, a safe group here:)

I cringed with Duran Duran's pop boy style, yet I was given a copy of Rio about 10 years ago and was amazed at how funky and sophisticated the bass playing was. Who would have thought.

As for Abba, a bold admission but when I think about it I guess you're right. They certainly could create a hook!

Elvis, Stones and Beatles are three unique musical zones. Cant help but think their influence on the social zeitgeist was possibly bigger than the music itself.

Some of my earliest memories of music was ABBA , Glen Campbell and Gerry Rafferty , from about 18 months old they had to clear a dancefloor for me when my favourite tunes came on the radio .
We had a 'culture night' recently here , a Cuban musician played acoustic and sang in the town square ,
A group of younger children automatically gravitated to right in front of the stage , they may have never seen live music before , but it was instinctive , they all danced and joined in with the sing song .

Latest posts

Back