Words

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just mulling over Insight VS Incite , prounounced the same with almost polar opposite meanings , in the spoken word the only clue is the context in which its used . Strange beast at the best of times language.

Tubetec said:
I'd heard the same thing about the Spanish 'Lisp' but I could never get a firm confirmation or denial  , obviously the Mexican branch of the Spanish language forked off before the monarchys tongue clung to its palate  :D

It is really odd, because all of hispanic-america do not use that sound, only the Spaniards do, which is weird considering that the only reason all these american countries speak spanish is because of the Spanish conquest. I guess that even back then the american natives thought it sounded weird  ;D ;D

Also Argentinians are a weird bunch, after the spaniards they are the ones with the weirdest accent. However the most unintelligible accent award goes to the Puerto Ricans and the Cubans. People from Chile speak like someone is chasing them, 1000 words per second.

In the anglo world I can easily distinguish between Americans and the rest of the world but Canadians and Americans sound 100% exactly the same to me, unless its someone from like Nashville or the south of the US, Brian Roth is from Oklahoma but everytime we speak on the phone I can understand him very well.

The most unintelligible accent from the anglo world is Jamaican, I love how it sounds but I can't understand a word, I am still waiting for the translation for the song Snow - Informer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSffz_bl6zo

Tubetec said:
Just mulling over Insight VS Incite , prounounced the same with almost polar opposite meanings , in the spoken word the only clue is the context in which its used . Strange beast at the best of times language.
I am not sure how those two sound with an Irish accent but in the UK but Insight usually has the first syllable emphasised and Incite usually has the second syllable emphasised. But otherwise you are right they are pronounced much the same. There are plenty of other examples e.g. threw and through.

Cheers

Ian

Tubetec said:
Interesting theory about language bloat being linked to the number of times the place was invaded . English , I believe is one of the languages with the most words with around 500,000
And that bloke, Bill Shakespeare invented over 1,700 of them, the contumelious fashion-mongerging lewdster!

I think the cancel culture is coming dangerously close to "jumping the shark" (a happy days reference).

Their latest outrage is over Prince Charming kissing Snow White without her permission. He kissed her because she would die otherwise and his kiss saved her life. Of course it's fiction but as a Disney property still worth big bucks, so the cancel culture is going for another high profile (but fictional) scalp.

At some point people will realize how ludicrous this all is.

JR 

JohnRoberts said:
I think the cancel culture is coming dangerously close to "jumping the shark" (a happy days reference).

Their latest outrage is over Prince Charming kissing Snow White without her permission. He kissed her because she would die otherwise and his kiss saved her life. Of course it's fiction but as a Disney property still worth big bucks, so the cancel culture is going for another high profile (but fictional) scalp.

At some point people will realize how ludicrous this all is.

JR

I wonder why cancel culture is only present in the tolerant and free west, why are they not in Iran, Pakistan, Syria, Saudi Arabia, central africa and so on......

user 37518 said:
I wonder why cancel culture is only present in the tolerant and free west, why are they not in Iran, Pakistan, Syria, Saudi Arabia, central africa and so on......
Shariah "cancels" violators by stoning them to death.

One interesting development in Iran in anticipation of the upcoming election (July?), the republican guard has not shut down social media, but is flooding it with pro government propaganda, and selectively blocking dissenter accounts. This upcoming election is likely to be another dog and pony show....Only state approved candidates are allowed to run, so the vote count doesn't really matter.

JR   

I hope everybody enjoyed a "happy birthing person" day this weekend. :rolleyes:

I don't think they will ring a chime when they finally jump the woke shark, but it must be getting close.

JR

I hope everybody enjoyed a "happy birthing person" day this weekend. :rolleyes:

I don't think they will ring a chime when they finally jump the woke shark, but it must be getting close.

JR
Dear God, the "birthing person" thing, the WOKEhounds from hell got loose and they are out to get ya, when will it end?

I think it's possible that people being upset with language changing are actually upset with the reason for the change. Like this "birthing person" complaint. What actually bothers you is that people who we acknowledge are not women/mothers can give birth. Am I wrong?

I don't even know what that is....

My rudimentary understanding of human reproduction involves an egg supplied by a female, impregnated by a male sperm, and carried to term in the female's womb. Biology does not much care how they self identify, or whatever.

Mother's day just reminds me that my mother is still dead.... So the holiday was already irritating, this language redefinition nonsense just makes it worse for me.

JR

PS: I don't request or expect any sympathy from you guys, just explaining my irritation.

I don't even know what that is....

My rudimentary understanding of human reproduction involves an egg supplied by a female, impregnated by a male sperm, and carried to term in the female's womb. Biology does not much care how they self identify, or whatever.

Mother's day just reminds me that my mother is still dead.... So the holiday was already irritating, this language redefinition nonsense just makes it worse for me.

JR

PS: I don't request or expect any sympathy from you guys, just explaining my irritation.
John, your understanding of human reproduction is correct. I can't believe that we are discussing this, I thought some things were already settled 100,000 years ago, like the fact that women are the ones that give birth to children. What's next ? 'pi' is not 3.14159..? gravity is now non-discriminating natural attracting fat shame biased force?

Note that the current generation and their followers want to wipe out everything in humanity that happened before 2015 and rewrite everything, including history and language, among other things....

Sorry to hear about your mother....

Last edited:
John, your understanding of human reproduction is correct. I can't believe that we are discussing this, I thought some things were already settled 100,000 years ago, like the fact that women are the ones that give birth to children. What's next ? 'pi' is not 3.14159..? gravity is now non-discriminating natural attracting fat shame biased force?

Note that the current generation and their followers want to wipe out everything in humanity that happened before 2015 and rewrite everything, including history and language, among other things....

Sorry to hear about your mother....
This is what I meant! You aren't defending the integrity of language, you have a problem with trans people.

I heard a new one today that is even dumber,,, some woke warrior claims that the dewey decimal library classification system for organizing books is racist.

I have a problem with cancel culture in its sundry manifestations.

JR

I heard a new one today that is even dumber,,, some woke warrior claims that the dewey decimal library classification system for organizing books is racist.

I have a problem with cancel culture in its sundry manifestations.

JR
Well, did you know why the "woke warrior" made that claim?

The issue is that the DDS has limited category codes, so modern topics don't fit well into it. It's like having a system where any books about LGBT people would still be filed under "D" for degenerate. No one is "cancelling" the DDS, and I think it's fair to point out how it falls short when used to sort contemporary writings.

...speaking of words and "cancel culture". Ask every Republican you see today to explain what "cancel culture" is, then have a discussion about Liz Cheney. I'm glad their party has clarified the definition. Scary times when you can't even publicly declare that the sky is blue.

HAHAHAHA that can't be real! they are now just messing with us! And I thought woke comedians weren't funny!

Latest posts

Back