World's Largest Cone?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thermionic

http://audio-database.com/MITSUBISHI-DIATONE/diatonesp/d-160-e.html

:D

Back in the 80s and 90s I used to marvel at the pair of smaller brothers to the above at London's Fridge nightclub. Apparently they were the only pair that ever found their way to the UK (but they were a mere 80cm - half the dia of the above!). The story I read is that Mitsubishi shipped them over for demos, but there were no takers, so they found their way into the Fridge.

Ever seen a larger cone than the D-160?

pucho812 said:
rather a pain in the arse to recone

;D

I found a photo of the 80cm (36") variant at the club I used to frequent. Have a look for yourself: http://forum.speakerplans.com/36-monsters-from-the-fridge-brixton_topic19695_page1.html

Maybe it's the way the photo's taken, but there's a suspicious line running across the cone... Maybe they welded two halves of cones together... What do you reckon?

I'm quite chuffed to have accidentally found the above discussion. It's been one of those unanswered questions on my mind for many yrs. I began to think that maybe the woofer hadn't been that large and my state of intoxication had something to do with imagining such a large cone... I'm glad to find out I wasn't hallucinating (it was a legendary venue for acid parties...).

CJ said:
one of these ladies got the short end of the stick,  ;D

We need a caption competition for what the girl with the smaller driver is thinking... Keep it clean, folks  ;)

thermionic said:
We need a caption competition for what the girl with the smaller driver is thinking... Keep it clean, folks  ;)
c'mon, c'mon, grow up, grow up

i would put "Size Does Matter" as the caption, but that is not that creative is it?

Grow up?  this is the Brewery man! let it all hang out,  which is also a cool song,

notice how the lady with the "inferior" product is situated lower than the EV product?

check this pic out, Roy Clark, the cracker's cracker, (anybody who starts a country mecca in Branson Mi has to be a cracker) is situated slightly higher than poor old Gate.

this is a killer CD by the way, Jimmy Keltner on drums,

Attachments

• heygate.jpg
    heygate.jpg
    143.7 KB
I understood the thread title a bit wrong the first time.

sw_biggest_ice_cream_nt_120702_wblog.jpg

When I saw the 36" cone / woofer at The Fridge, I don't remember it working. In the link I previously posted, they were saying it didn't work too well. My experience with large cones has been that they lack punch. I guess this is down to material rigidity for the cone itself, plus the demands put on the motor unit in terms of pushing so much air. I find it interesting that a company such as Mitsubishi would get involved in what amounts to, in my perception, a bizarre piece of one-upmanship. Can anyone justify the 1.6m cone in terms of design physics? Is it anything more than a speaker equivalent to the monster boom boxes you saw being made in the '80s? According to one post I read, Mitsubishi will still sell the 1.6m unit to Japanese customers, for $150,000...

Mind you, I still want one... Not sure where I'd put it. 

thermionic said:
Mind you, I still want one... Not sure where I'd put it.
in your bedroom? for some "woofer funk" instead of your laundry machine funk..

like, pump up the bass, mann

Latest posts

Back