Would buying a golden age ga-800g and putting a sony c800g capsule in it work?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The reputation of the C800G is based on productions where sound quality is a kind of moving target, like systematically adding "grit", "warmth", which in the end is just plain old distortion.
Check this example and notice how the vocal track is horribly distorted to start with.
Add to that a good dose of Autotune and you can figure out the mic doesn't count much.
I believe the C800G's dominant feature is, as far as rappers are concerned, its Jetson looks.

I totally agree with you Abbey that in most HipHop and derivatives that the vocals have so much processing like distortion and auto-tune that probably any LDC mic could be used, even a cheap 100€ Chinese mic.

But I would like anyway to try a Sony C800 mic, I’m pretty sure it would have a character of his own.
I was actually fortunate to record in many studios and I used and tried all the most well known and praised microphones, but for some reason I was never able to try the C800.

As for the looks, I also agree that the distinctive look makes it standout and be hyped

Last edited:
Would buying a golden age ga-800g and putting a sony c800g capsule in it work?
I'm not familiar with the GA-800G but I used (and repaired) a lot the Sony C800G. I can say that I really like that microphone :) So, I'm not sure how their capsule works compared to the Sony riginal one, but i'm sure you will have to play with tubes replacement and probably the transformer.

how could we know?
Probably none of us did that comparison. And 98% of people never even tried or touched a GA-800G mic…
I was just asking a question out of curiosity by the comment that I was replying too. They mentioned they would throw a Neumann k67 capsule in it... I wanted to know more about why they would think / do that!

The GA800G is an excellent mic. There are times I have chosen it over my ELA M251 and my U47. It especially shines on deep voiced VO talent. I used to have a C800G. The GA800G is a little softer on the top, which I prefer. I have had times where high pitched vocals on the C800G get to really piercing.

hey. i did that. i installed an original c800g capsule on the ga8000. and now the mic sounds less like the sony than with the original ga8000 capsule. i don't know if the old c800g capsules were different than the new ones. or maybe the cirquit of the ga8000 is very different like the real one. or the sony psu makes the differenz.

i compared the original goldenage with the sony so i know they are very close. but unfortunately the ga is really 2D. so I made an attempt to install a real sony capsule.

Last edited:
I have already tested this with a colleague and yes the original Sony C800 G capsule improves the sound of the Gap-8000. And NO, I wouldn't take a Neumann K67 capsule because it actually sounds like Neumann and not Sony.

What brings the GAP even closer to the original sound:

Replace the tube with the original Sony TUbe

Replace main capacitor

Buy an Ac MC 800G Powersupply from Sony and plug in the GAP.

There are of course other parts that could be swapped out, but if you swap out the parts just listed, you're definitely a lot closer to the original Sony sound.

The reputation of the C800G is based on productions where sound quality is a kind of moving target, like systematically adding "grit", "warmth", which in the end is just plain old distortion.
Check this example and notice how the vocal track is horribly distorted to start with.
Add to that a good dose of Autotune and you can figure out the mic doesn't count much.
I believe the C800G's dominant feature is, as far as rappers are concerned, its Jetson looks.

I don’t know. We had a Sony C800G at a studio I worked at and the producer at Disney/MGM for the Micky Mouse club loved it. We had a huge mic locker. They had a choice of about any mic. They used it on Britney Spears when she was breaking out. The last thing I would call it is distorted. I don’t know how that YouTube video was recorded? I didn’t listen. I’ve used an 800.

I have already tested this with a colleague and yes the original Sony C800 G capsule improves the sound of the Gap-8000. And NO, I wouldn't take a Neumann K67 capsule because it actually sounds like Neumann and not Sony.

What brings the GAP even closer to the original sound:

Replace the tube with the original Sony TUbe

Replace main capacitor

Buy an Ac MC 800G Powersupply from Sony and plug in the GAP.

There are of course other parts that could be swapped out, but if you swap out the parts just listed, you're definitely a lot closer to the original Sony sound.
yes that's true because of the k67 capsule. I also put an original neumann k67 in it and it was really full of the neumann sound with just more treble. the original sony capsule is quite different. I have now installed the sony ma-55 board in my ga. and that changed the sound again for the better. with the original sony capsule and the ma-55 board the mic sounds amazing.

Latest posts

Back