WRA HZ51X - Recording-DI for 500/51X series - FEELER CLOSED

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mikefatom said:
One could use a simple Y cable though for a hard wire split, the same way it's done in stand alone DIs

in some situations you might need to use a isolation transformer inline with outgoing signal from the y-split cable - as there might be some ground loop current if this is going to a grounded amp for example... but i'm sure everyone knows that, no biggie.

looks like this'll be a cool unit mike!

Sorry for the lack of clarity, I was wondering if it was able to perform re-amp duties as well. Idk why I didnt just say that first!
mikefatom said:
kepeb said:
so does that mean this is this input only?

Yes.
But it doesn't look like it... Bummer. Still cool though!

haima said:
mikefatom said:
One could use a simple Y cable though for a hard wire split, the same way it's done in stand alone DIs

in some situations you might need to use a isolation transformer inline with outgoing signal from the y-split cable - as there might be some ground loop current if this is going to a grounded amp for example... but i'm sure everyone knows that, no biggie.

looks like this'll be a cool unit mike!

Very valid point.  For what it's worth, this cannot occur when using the passive TX based Hi-Z plugins in the HZ51X.  The shield and signal connections of each input jack go directly (and only) to the negative and positive inputs of each Hi-Z plugin.  Since the TX based Hi-Z plugins isolate the input from the output, ground loop will not occur, at least not from using the HZ51X!

Here is the SCHEMATIC for those interested.

Cheers

Mike

grantlack said:
Sorry for the lack of clarity, I was wondering if it was able to perform re-amp duties as well. Idk why I didnt just say that first!
mikefatom said:
kepeb said:
so does that mean this is this input only?

Yes.
But it doesn't look like it... Bummer. Still cool though!

Unfortunately, reamping is not the purpose of the HZ51X.  This unit is meant to add HI-Z inputs to any mic pre you may already have.  However, I believe Radial has a reamping module for the 500 series.  May be worth looking into?

Cheers,
Mike

It is alive!!!  Sounds great too!

I am very surprised at how quiet it is.  The Hi-Z plugins do wonders!

First impressions of the Classic API/[silent:arts] plugins:

- The IC HI-Z plugin has WAY more output than the other ones.  This makes sense considering the balanced output.
- The FET Hi-Z plugin is shimmery and defined.
- The Pikatron Hi-Z plugin is smooth... tames overly bright instruments.
- The Jensen Hi-Z plugin sounds well balanced.... kinda between the Pikatron and the FET.

Thank you Volker and Jeff!  This is really going to change the way I record DI'd instruments!   8) 8) ;D 8)

HZ51X_proto1.jpg

HZ51X_proto2.jpg

Ok guys, it's update time!

1- I finally got to look at a third sample of the metalwork (L-bracket) for this project and I'm happy to say that they got it right!  I should have the metal in hand by mid January.  :)

2- The v1.1 revision proto PCBs should be here tomorow.  Nothing was changed to the circuit, just a few components moved around to give more breathing room.  If all goes well (I don't foresee any problems at all), I will order up a small run of 30 boards.

3- I would like to offer kits for this project but I need to judge interest before I order the parts.

The BASIC-KIT ($120) would contain:

- L-bracket.
- HZ51X PCB with gold finished edge connector.
- All components needed including, IC sockets, push-button switch caps. All high quality.
- All Hardware.

The face plate is up to you and I can provide a FPD file (same one I use) to get you going.  There would not be any HI-Z plugin kits included.  You can get them from Classic API of course.

What I can add to the kit given enough interest:

- FPE made face plates.  These would add $35 to the kit (assuming 30 orders).
- All 4 currently available HI-Z Plugin Kits from Classic API.  They would add $58 to the kit.
- Cinemag CM-DBXPC DI input transformer.  They would be $52 each.  I believe these sound as good as the Jensens.

If I can get enough interest by mid January, I will make it happen.
This first round of orders is limited to 30 kits!

Please post your interest or questions/comments below.

UPDATE:
I have created a Google Docs form to facilitate the order process.  Please simply fill in this FORM to indicate your interest.

Thanks for your replies guys! :)

Bryan (Ptownkid) and Volker:  I just realized that I did not acknowledge your kind words. Sorry about that and thanks!  ;D  Should I count you in?

UPDATE:  I just got word from David @ Cinemag.  The CM-DBXPC are going to be $52 each.  That's $1 more than buying it straight from Cinemag (not including shipping either).  The extra buck will allow me to cover shipping.  Not making any money here... Just making things easier for everyone interested.  I will update the feeler post asap.

Cheers,

Mike

3nity said:
How many DI options are available??
I'll take 1 for sure.
If theres more DI options i take 2.

Thanks.

Hello Jorge,

There are currently 4 HI-Z Plugins which means 4 options total for now.
They are all available from Classic API.

That includes 2 passive Plugins:

HiZ-TX1 - Jensen JT-DB-EPC or Cinemag CM-DBXPC based.  The kit from CAPI does not include the TX, hence my offer of adding it the HZ51X kit.
HiZ-TX2 - Pikatron UP3096M based.  The kit from CAPI comes with the TX, so we're good there.

and 2 active Plugins:

HiZ-FET1 - Fet input DI originally by Peter Purpose.
HiZ-IC1 - Op-Amp based DI buffer circuit.  The Classic API Kit contains the Burr-Brown OPA2604 for this one.

There will be more options to come as well I'm sure!   :)

The HZ51X can hold four Plugins at a time.  The idea is that you'd pick your favorite four and stick 'em in there.  If you have more than four favorites or would like to had the Hi-Z goodness to more than one mic pre, I guess you can buy a second HZ51X or as many as required ;).

Cheers!

Mike

I'll take one for support

the great thing about this is you don't have to patch different pre's
trying the the d.i. in's
Have you tried using more than one at a time
anything wacky or intersting ?

may be a good canidate for the drag control like radial
or something for impedance ?

Hey guys,

I created this FORM to facilitate the order process.
All you have to do is fill out some simple info and indicate your interest.  Submitting the form will record your entry in a special Google Docs spreadsheet which I will keep track of.

The link to the form will also be in my signature to make it easier to find.

Thanks!

Mike

okgb said:
I'll take one for support

the great thing about this is you don't have to patch different pre's
trying the the d.i. in's
Have you tried using more than one at a time
anything wacky or intersting ?

may be a good canidate for the drag control like radial
or something for impedance ?

Thanks Greg!

I have not tried using more than one DI plugin at a time.  I actually intentionally included a logic circuit to avoid having more than one plugin feeding the output at a time.

Cheers,

Mike

Back