• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Group DIY and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Wanted WTB 6BC8 in UK

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

njm

Got a retro 176 on the bench which needs a new 6BC8, the usual suppliers of valves here in the UK don't have any. Anyone got one or more they'd be happy to sell?

The 6BC8 is the same as the 6BZ8 so try that reference also in your suppliers.

I might have one, I have to check in my tube stock.

Otherwise your best bet is Ebay

...or look for the identical European equivalent ECC180.

You will find these easier in the UK.

Last edited:
So I guess the ECC180 is the same as the 6BQ7A,
but are those tubes really the same as 6BC8/6BZ8?

Or are they just similar or somewhat equivalent?
I took another look at the data sheets. ECC180/6BQ7 and 6BQ7A are virtually identical to the 6BC8 in terms of the relevant technical data. I would not hesitate for a second to exchange them for each other. Try it out, nothing can break. See if you like the control behaviour of the tube. Ultimately, the result in the circuit is what counts.

The 6BZ8 you mentioned is a bit further away in terms of technical data. The gain is somewhat higher at 45 (6BC8=35) and the transconductance varies.

Nevertheless, I would also try these, they are close enough.

Screenshot 2023-05-03 at 08-21-38 6BC8 4BC8 - 6BC8.pdf.pngScreenshot 2023-05-03 at 08-23-40 6BQ7 - Datenblatt 6BQ7 Tung-Sol www.tubedata.info .pdf.pngScreenshot 2023-05-03 at 08-40-25 6BZ8 - 6BZ8.pdf.png

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-05-03 at 08-21-38 6BC8 4BC8 - 6BC8.pdf.png
    Screenshot 2023-05-03 at 08-21-38 6BC8 4BC8 - 6BC8.pdf.png
    226 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Have you tried Langrex and Billington Export ? They are the best UK tube suppliers in my experience

I didn't know that and it's very strange as everywhere I checked the 6BC8 and 6BZ8 are referenced as the same.
I was also surprised for the same reasons. But these specifications in the data sheets are static values and they only tell half the truth, especially for a semi-remote cutoff triode. The gain differences are rather small and what really counts is the control behaviour in reality. The curves in the data sheet are probably more informative.

Even better is a test in the corresponding device. If it is good, it is good.

This question is off topic, but I couldn't find a better place to ask.

Does anyone know the model number of the Cinemag interstage transformer?

Thank you!

Back