• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Group DIY and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTB - 6BC8 tube in EU (6BZ8, X155)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whoops

GDIY Supporter
Hi,
if anyone inside EU has a 6BC8 tube to spare, please let me know something I will buy it from you.
Could be also any of the equivalents below

From what I've read 6BC8 can be replaced with any of the following:

6BZ8
X155

Let me know something,
thanks

Last edited:
The 6BC8 is a semi-remote cut off tube which might make it suitable for use in a compressor. Certainly the ECC85 and the 6CG7 are sharp cut off tubes so definitely very different, not to mention the 6CG7 has a mu of 20 compared to 35 for the 6BC8. I don't know where you read that the 6BC8 can be replaced by any from that list but I would be suspicious of that conclusion.

edit: If you want some 6CG7 tubes I have loads of them. Happy to send you a few for the cost of shipping.

Cheers

Ian

The 6BC8 is a semi-remote cut off tube which might make it suitable for use in a compressor. Certainly the ECC85 and the 6CG7 are sharp cut off tubes so definitely very different, not to mention the 6CG7 has a mu of 20 compared to 35 for the 6BC8. I don't know where you read that the 6BC8 can be replaced by any from that list but I would be suspicious of that conclusion.

edit: If you want some 6CG7 tubes I have loads of them. Happy to send you a few for the cost of shipping.

Cheers

Ian

Thank you so much for the information Ian,
it's great to know that.

This tube is to be used in as the input tube in a Retro 176 Limiting amplifier (sort of improved clone of the UA/Urei 176),

I used these 2 websites for possible 6BC8 equivalents, they list the ECC85 and the 6CG7 but like you explained the tubes are indeed different so I will not trust this sources, much prefer to trust you.

I'll edit my first post

Thank you so much mate

I have not found any source in the EU and I ve searched for hours, nearly days. Its one of the last source, and David Boardman had 5 weeks ago hundred tubes of 6BZ8 and different brands like Tungsol, Philips on stock, they are all nearly gone away. So I believe you will have the same problem like me in Austria.... Sorry bro

Attachments

• 16414980394917603154728204717540.jpg
    16414980394917603154728204717540.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 13
I have not found any source in the EU and I ve searched for hours, nearly days. Its one of the last source, and David Boardman had 5 weeks ago hundred tubes of 6BZ8 and different brands like Tungsol, Philips on stock, they are all nearly gone away. So I believe you will have the same problem like me in Austria.... Sorry bro

Thanks mate,
I've ordered 2 tubes from ebay from different sellers/sources inside EU, hopefully at least one of them will be good

Thank you

Uraltone in Finland has some 6AQ8 for sale Electro Harmonix 6AQ8 / ECC85
They will ship :)

Thank you, I didn't know that store, it's good to know.

Although they state the 6AQ8 as being the same as ECC85, and Ian already explained the ECC85 was not a good candidate for replacing the 6BC8,
so it seems I should also take the 6AQ8 out of the possible equivalents list.

Thank you, I didn't know that store, it's good to know.

Although they state the 6AQ8 as being the same as ECC85, and Ian already explained the ECC85 was not a good candidate for replacing the 6BC8,
so it seems I should also take the 6AQ8 out of the possible equivalents list.
6AQ5 and ECC85 are equivalent. They were designed for the front end of FM receivers:

6AQ8 @ The Valve Museum

Cheers

Ian

Latest posts

Back