• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Group DIY and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Wtb: JH990 op-amp

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3nity

I'm looking for 4 John Hardy 990.
If you have em unused lets put them to use.
Let me know thanks.

There is always the option of DIYing them - the schematics are widely available and the only slightly tricky to find bit is the LM394 dual transistor. These were done in a toaster oven.

Attachments

• 990.jpg
    990.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 39
The current JH is a slightly modified Jensen 990. Hairball audio sells kits and finished Jensen 990s (DIY-990 Op-Amp Kit), and I cannot tell the difference between those and the Hardy’s in either the Lola or their Elements Gold preamps. The John Hardy’s are potted and there must be a lot of SMD parts in there, because they are noticeably lighter. Both discrete op amps sound amazing

I used to work for John Hardy back in the 90's. There is a very specific tuning process done during assembly. At least there was before he went to smd components, but I can't imagine that anything has changed other than the size of the components. He then burns them in for a few days, then they get potted, then they are tested again. Buy them from him, you will be guaranteed that they are performing to spec

I used to work for John Hardy back in the 90's. There is a very specific tuning process done during assembly. At least there was before he went to smd components, but I can't imagine that anything has changed other than the size of the components. He then burns them in for a few days, then they get potted, then they are tested again. Buy them from him, you will be guaranteed that they are performing to spec
Thanks for passing this on…this confirms everything I have read or heard about John. Fantastic attention to detail

Latest posts

Back