• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Group DIY and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Wtb RC4739db 14 pin opamp

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vintagelove

Hello, looking for a couple spares for my polytone amps. Got burned on eBay, hoping someone here has a few that have lived in a drawer since before people started selling shoddy chips on eBay.

Thanks and have a great day.

I'll try and remember this tomorrow when I go to my studio/workspace. I think I might have them :)
(they would be NOS if they're there)

Hey dude,
I mixed up some things..

I'm working on my Stevenson Interface Electronics console and it had MC1437 originally.

What I can give you are these photos of the pin scrambler which the previous owner made (some had 4558s and others 5534s)

You can basically replace the 4558 with any compatible opamp of choice ;)

Meery Christmas! and happy new year :)

Attachments

• E044DB3D-D3C3-4793-9DE6-8B2146524C19.jpeg
    E044DB3D-D3C3-4793-9DE6-8B2146524C19.jpeg
    92.8 KB · Views: 5
  • E3CBE2C8-5F53-4F99-A7A3-287A3879F67B.jpeg
    E3CBE2C8-5F53-4F99-A7A3-287A3879F67B.jpeg
    97.4 KB · Views: 5
  • D4AEB343-0D79-4EF0-B00F-100AB26D7B48.jpeg
    D4AEB343-0D79-4EF0-B00F-100AB26D7B48.jpeg
    95.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 4824130A-807F-48B9-AB91-0C84FDC32ABF.jpeg
    4824130A-807F-48B9-AB91-0C84FDC32ABF.jpeg
    88.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 692CE222-FC4F-48CF-9598-F8502A2465DF.jpeg
    692CE222-FC4F-48CF-9598-F8502A2465DF.jpeg
    81.8 KB · Views: 5
Hello, looking for a couple spares for my polytone amps. Got burned on eBay, hoping someone here has a few that have lived in a drawer since before people started selling shoddy chips on eBay.

Hi mate, I had the unfortunate experience of servicing a lot of Polytone guitar amplifiers in the past.
I say unfortunate because I hate those amps, and the way they're built is even worse than their sound.
But back to topic,
I might have spare parts from the time I serviced them, I think I have that opamp.
Let me check in the workshop next time Im there, if I forget please send me a PM reminding me.

Whats the model of your amplifier?

Hi mate, I had the unfortunate experience of servicing a lot of Polytone guitar amplifiers in the past.
I say unfortunate because I hate those amps, and the way they're built is even worse than their sound.
But back to topic,
I might have spare parts from the time I serviced them, I think I have that opamp.
Let me check in the workshop next time Im there, if I forget please send me a PM reminding me.

Whats the model of your amplifier?
Hello, I appreciate the offer, but overseas shipping doesn't make much sense.

Fwiw, they're one of the best jazz amps of all time (unless you like carrying a super reverb). It's a feel thing. If you're playing uptempo bebop, they're very forgiving amps with the textbook jazz tone.

It's also entirely possible you experienced their newer amps which were indeed, let's just be nice and say different. The classic ones have lasted 40 years already, and are relatively easy to repair. Well, except the fiberglass...

Thanks again.

I have tried all old models, and serviced them.
Just Flat and Cold sounding solid state crap, with no personality or soul.
No Dynamic interaction with the guitar, some of the worst guitar amplifiers I ever listened to.
Those amps were the reason for so many bad sounding jazz guitar players during a certain period of time, I'm glad professional Jazz players moved away from it and no one professionally uses those amps at the present, Jazz guitar sound improved a lot also because of that.

Anyway, if you need the 4739 just let me know.

I have tried all old models, and serviced them.
Just Flat and Cold sounding solid state crap, with no personality or soul.
No Dynamic interaction with the guitar, some of the worst guitar amplifiers I ever listened to.
Those amps were the reason for so many bad sounding jazz guitar players during a certain period of time, I'm glad professional Jazz players moved away from it and no one professionally uses those amps at the present, Jazz guitar sound improved a lot also because of that.

Anyway, if you need the 4739 just let me know.
I take it you're not a jazz guitar player. When you play bebop, a huge dynamic range is not your friend.

Modern SS is the definition of cold. Please feel free to post a clip of a modern SS amp with a warmer tone than this.

Modern SS does work well for more acoustic voiced archtops, but for a warm 175 thing,

Joe Pass
George Benson
Herb Ellis
1000's of others
A generation of upright bass players

Hell, 3/10 guys on the jazz forum still have one they take to a gig when they feel like it. I can appreciate you dislike them, but the reality is the biggest names to ever string up a jazz box all used polytone for a reason.

only reason it was used by some people, was because in the 80s it was the only small and portable 100watt amplifier that was available, it was not because of sound, it fails big in that department

I’m moving on from this subject

only reason it was used by some people, was because in the 80s it was the only small and portable 100watt amplifier that was available, it was not because of sound, it fails big in that department

I’m moving on from this subject

By "some people" you of course mean the most famous players in the jazz world, not to mention the countless players that still use them today. I also can't stress enough, it's the feel of these amps that is what draws bebop players towards these amps. If you can't play that style, you really don't get it. Think about it, have you ever seen a single bebop player using a dumble amp, or any of the modern remakes/takes/clones? No, you haven't. That's because a huge dynamic range is not your friend playing bop. You need something that you can dig into (as a necessity when trying to play such difficult, non idiomatic music), that won't have such an over the top response.

I also can't help but notice you didn't post a "warm" modern SS clip to back up your assertions. By all means, feel free to post a clip that sounds better than the one's I posted above.

Polytone guitar amplifiers sound awful in my humble opinion and the best place for them is in the dumpster, that’s were they belong.
Those amps amps have a particular bad sound that I and many people associate with bad Taste.
And that’s why no well know professional musician uses them.

Joe Pass,Jim Hall, Herb Ellis, and George Benson are not exactly unknown players. May be it was for convenience of size or because of endorsement deals but if the amp sucked those guys probably wouldn't use them :) I have quite a few amps Fenders twin reverb, Roland JC120, Magnatone, Standel 25L15 and many more that are more versatile but i also have a Polytone and i don't think it belongs in the garbage.

It’s a matter of opinions mate. Our tastes represent opposite ends of the spectrum when it comes to guitar sound.

I will check if I have the IC,
If I have it I will send it to you for free

Our tastes represent opposite ends of the spectrum.

Of course, and I would venture to guess you're not a bebop guitar player, hence what appeals to you. The tone is also not the only consideration (and you're definitely right that weight and portability is a consideration that sold lots of these) in picking an amp (for any genr/gig). I had a Redplate for a while. Absolutely beautiful amp from circuit to construction to sound. However, it was downright terrible for playing bebop . It was like a damn cannon attached to your picking hand. You could kill the poor couple having a glass of wine sitting in the firing line of the amp if you leaned into a note too hard!!! Great amp for a blues gig, not so much for bebop. I've have a bunch of great amps, 64 BFSR, Redplate (sold), an all octal 40w, a Dumble clone, silverface fender, Marshall, etc... My Polytone amps are the most used ones believe it or not. They are just perfect for that straight ahead jazz tone, which is what I'm doing most of the time.

And let's be clear, if you set one down next to my 64 super reverb, the Fender sounds better. The Fender also shares that desirable feel for playing bebop. I'm certain that's what appealed to all those guys who came from playing big Fenders. I'm not immune to preferences either. I just can't get into Vox amps clean sound. I know, I know, blasphemy...

Anyway, all the conversation here is not meant to be hostile, just honest discussion. Hell, we have at least 2 Polytone fans in the thread so far, maybe another hater will chime in and even the score. Your offer is very generous btw, much appreciated.

yes opinions differ and change with the occasion as well. In my humble opinion the guitar and the amp matter a lot less than the musicianship of the player. And for a player what makes them comfortable is what will yield the best performance. Anyway sorry for jumping in this conversation and i only meant to say i agree with both of you. Happy new year

Latest posts

Back