• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Group DIY and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTB: Studer C37 repro & rec amplifiers

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

koit

Looking repro & recording amplifiers for Studer C37 recorder.
Studer parts code 1.337.990 & 1.337.970 accordingly .
Preferably CCIR/NAB versions.
Let me know.

I don't have those for sale, but if you don't mind building some, I can recommend Attila from N-K metal (Hungary). Great guy, knows this stuff extremely well and he provided me with full kits to build replica of both repro and rec amps. He also builds transformers and has some tubes in stock, so you can get everything from him. He offers build service as well, so if you don't mind cloned stuff, I would highly recommend him. His email is nkmetalkft @ nkmetal .hu

I need them for upgrade mono recorder to stereo. Then only the Studer originals are eligible.
However, thank you for recommending.

Theres definately something to be said for full track mono in terms of quality , Ive set up one of the two headblocks with a stereo replay head and added the extra playback amp for pre recorded material . It looks like I might as well keep onto my mostly complete second C37 . Maybe if a one inch J37 roller/guide kit showed up it might be worth resurecting in stereo or four channel config. With a DAW the full track mono set up makes a great 'Abbey Road Plugin' effect if you want it ,either from an analog source like mic/preamp with the delay corrected for afterwards, or in the case of material off DAW you can easily run a stereo sub or main mix through the tape in two passes , ok downside its not proper realtime stereo off tape , but you do get all the benefits of the full track width(with no guard bands) which is the icing on the cake . In any case the THD and noise of the digital recording path will dwarf that off tape , so no major downside to using it in a re-amping type scenario either, applying tape saturation per channel in an offline situation.

The stereo heads are a saucy price and dont come up that often , plus theres the question of butterfly or normal config , There is some cross compatibility between the heads of the Revox G36 and the A/B/C model Studers, they will at least mount up on the same threads in the headblock , the electrical characteristics /impedences and inductances of the heads is contained in an Studer tape machine head catalog ,cant seem to find the link just now .

Hello
Then only the Studer originals are eligible.
I have some indirect "contact" with old Studer employees and collectors guys that you won't believe what they have (including C37 spare, but please don't ask me anything about this...)
I have a call yesterday (for another subject) and ask just to know as I see your post few days ago (the guy I know at the other side of the line have two C37).
The answer is simple, you won't find any spare amplifier, because there is not (or you'll be very lucky !!!)

Best
Zam

Given the OP has an existing set of electronics from which to get measurements (mechanical & electronic), I'd certainly think that building what's needed for a stereo machine is a viable option.
I think there are probably a fair few C37's out there that aren't 100% original anyway (wasn't this one of the machines that Tim de Paravicini modified for various folks?), so, unless it's intended for a museum, why not.

Back