• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Group DIY and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Wanted WTB - VU Buffer / Driver PCB

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thomasdf

GDIY Supporter
Hello

I would like to buy a pair of VU meter buffer / driver PCB, preferably from EU. My first choice would be JLM's as I have a pair of these already and they are purrfekt but 20$ shipping + import taxes on top of that here in France is a bit of a downer. An alternative would DIYTubes in Russia, but there again shipping is a downer and I'd like to avoid buying from Russia at the moment.
So here goes : before I veroboard or etch mine, has anybody here some of these PCB for sale ? or similar ones ?

Thanks in advance

Thomas

Last edited:
If somebody has more I would also take two!
I’m in the same situation.
Of course thomasdf is first in line.

Well if we can't find a "local" solution I'll so some quality PCBs and you are welcome to buy some, that way we split the costs. I usually have them made at JLCPCB, very high quality and crazy cheap.

Well if we can't find a "local" solution I'll so some quality PCBs and you are welcome to buy some, that way we split the costs. I usually have them made at JLCPCB, very high quality and crazy cheap.
Excellent idea. There's no reason we could not have a grouDIY PCB for this. Lot's of people will use them.

Cheers

Ian

A repo of GDIY PCBs would be really cool. Similar to tech documents. I just designed and ordered a little pcb that takes a relay and breaks it out so it can be put into an amp or any other circuit. Designed in EasyADA (free) and ordered from JLMPCB. Cost was $7 for qty 30! Shipping was kind of expensive, but I did a few other PCBs together. A few like VU driver, a preamp input board (pad, phase, etc.) , a PSU, headphone amp, etc... would be easy and really useful for DIYers.

I would just suggest not directly ripping off anyone like JLM by copying a schematic directly. They've provided a nice supply to DIYers since the early days.

Attachments

• Relay_pcb.PNG
    Relay_pcb.PNG
    17.5 KB · Views: 1
Good ideas in this thread. Please don't forget the self-etchers. I have some single sided designs for tube PSU PCBs that I can contribute.

This subsection could be named SEP (self-etchers paradise)😁

Hi all ! I like your enthusiasm.. I have spent some time this afternoon copying JLM's schematics for my own personnal use... Got this into Eagle and I'm designing a PCB inspired by his component placement... So maybe that's borderline !

If this gets a GroupDIY project, I am not sure this can be done ? Maybe we should start from scratch ? I like the VU meter + peak LED feature, from a single PSU rail.

I have a bunch of vu buffer pcbs that are designed to fit on Sifam AL-29 meters with screw terminals

I think they came from a british console, perhaps a Soundcraft.

There is also illumination on the board to give some back lighting to the meter

It seems you've got a solution for this already but I have a fully designed and tested dual VU driver/buffer PCB... That said i'm in Canada but imports and shipping may not be as brutal as AUS
Hi all ! I like your enthusiasm.. I have spent some time this afternoon copying JLM's schematics for my own personnal use... Got this into Eagle and I'm designing a PCB inspired by his component placement... So maybe that's borderline !

If this gets a GroupDIY project, I am not sure this can be done ? Maybe we should start from scratch ? I like the VU meter + peak LED feature, from a single PSU rail.

It seems you've got a solution for this already but I have a fully designed and tested dual VU driver/buffer PCB... That said i'm in Canada but imports and shipping may not be as brutal as AUS
Can you please share info & price here ? That way ppl interested can contact you.
Depending on the price + shipping + import taxes maybe it's cheaper than JLM, who knows ?
The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of having JLCPCB making a batch for me and maybe other ppl in EU. But tell us more ?

Can you please share info & price here ? That way ppl interested can contact you.
Depending on the price + shipping + import taxes maybe it's cheaper than JLM, who knows ?
The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of having JLCPCB making a batch for me and maybe other ppl in EU. But tell us more ?
No idea- I built them for a one-off project so I have a few kicking around the shop still. They're not huge boards tho so could be relatively cheaply made in qty if there was enough interest.
Mine are a bit bigger than JLMs- it's a very slightly different circuit with no peak hold. I'd probably re-work a new batch to be smaller. Not a full kit mind, just a PCB but i'd bet most can source parts more cheaply in their locale.

I don't think JLM's VU driver schematic is JLM's design. It is fairly generic and appears all over the place. No idea who first came up with it.

Cheers

Ian

Hi all

Few month back I made a VU driver for one of my project
306844417_5491508650930538_6726761414446575351_n.jpg
I just copy the DIY-tubes which is sold out: VU buffer DIY Kit

The size for the Resistors were a bit tight and need them for a coming project, so I revised the PCB and just got new one's. I just solder one but haven't try/test it yet...
I can let you know how it come.

I have 4 left that I could sell for 3€ + shipping from France...
If more EU interest I could make a new batch but I'm not making PCB order regularly...

best
F

Attachments

• Capture d’écran 2023-02-03 à 09.39.02.png
    Capture d’écran 2023-02-03 à 09.39.02.png
    118.3 KB · Views: 3
Hi all

Few month back I made a VU driver for one of my project
View attachment 104338
I just copy the DIY-tubes which is sold out: VU buffer DIY Kit

The size for the Resistors were a bit tight and need them for a coming project, so I revised the PCB and just got new one's. I just solder one but haven't try/test it yet...
I can let you know how it come.

I have 4 left that I could sell for 3€ + shipping from France...
If more EU interest I could make a new batch but I'm not making PCB order regularly...

best
F
Hello,

I can see there are green soldermask and black soldermask PCBs in your products.
Do you need PCB suppliers? Some factories can make PCBs, some can offer one-stop service for you.
Where did you order your boards?

Linda

Bumping this thread because I have a pcb layout for this type of thing (like the JLM and DIY-Tubes units, plus several other similar ones) that I need to finish up. Can probably get to it in a week or two and then I'll just upload the gerbers as a .zip that anyone can use to place an order on their own from PCB fab of choice.

Edit: all done — see post #25 in this thread for this

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back