WTB: Western Electric 111C or similar audio transformers

Help Support GroupDIY:

weiss

I want to build a passive "color box" kind of thing. Therefore looking to find some usable transformers for this project.
If you have something similar or more common to offer, let me know  :)

ruairioflaherty

WE111C are a wrong and expensive choice for this.  Despite much internet folklore they are all but invisible in the audio path, and I've spent months with them available in a mastering chain hitting them at all levels on many genres with great converters.

I'm guessing you could get them to misbehave more by using not ideal out/in impedances but I would look elsewhere.

For good value I liked what the cheaper steel Cinemags did, a little fluffy for mastering but fun in a recording and mixing scenario.

emrr

Yep, they do a thing but it's pretty subtle.  Not what I think of when I think 'color box'.  Now those HS-56/66 as used on Pultecs, those things are a fluffy color box.

weiss

ruairioflaherty said:
WE111C are a wrong and expensive choice for this.  Despite much internet folklore they are all but invisible in the audio path, and I've spent months with them available in a mastering chain hitting them at all levels on many genres with great converters.

I'm guessing you could get them to misbehave more by using not ideal out/in impedances but I would look elsewhere.

For good value I liked what the cheaper steel Cinemags did, a little fluffy for mastering but fun in a recording and mixing scenario.

thanks for the clarification. I wasn't aware of that!
What cinemags are you refering to?

EmRR said:
Yep, they do a thing but it's pretty subtle.  Not what I think of when I think 'color box'.  Now those HS-56/66 as used on Pultecs, those things are a fluffy color box.

I would love to try them one day but unfortunately they aren't low-budget although the sowter 3603 sounds like a possible alternative ?

weiss

EmRR said:

would these also work for that purpose?

emrr

weiss said:

Probably, but no telling what response  or headroom is there, they look pretty small.  That vendor is chronically overpriced on everything too; it's one thing if you can say WHAT you're selling, but generally there's no info.  .

scott2000

weiss said:

I found this....

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=2ahUKEwibwMjYlJvjAhXTLs0KHd_3BDcQFjAAegQIAxAC&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.technicalaudio.com%2Fpdf%2FElectronics_Catalog_Extracts%2FFreed_Transformer_Co_1966_REM_E30.pdf&usg=AOvVaw3Cy0PojoSi9EYQ28NbzdFj

Attachments

• Freed TTA.jpg
    Freed TTA.jpg
    318 KB · Views: 17

weiss

scott2000 said:
I found this....

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=2ahUKEwibwMjYlJvjAhXTLs0KHd_3BDcQFjAAegQIAxAC&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.technicalaudio.com%2Fpdf%2FElectronics_Catalog_Extracts%2FFreed_Transformer_Co_1966_REM_E30.pdf&usg=AOvVaw3Cy0PojoSi9EYQ28NbzdFj

yeah!! i found the same, would work in theory..

weiss

I went for two utc A20. If you ever built something similar, how does your unit/box look?

craigmorris74

I want with two Stancor WF-30s, which are pretty much the same as your utc's.  I used the little box in the attached pic.

Attachments

• IMG_20190711_164617.jpg
    IMG_20190711_164617.jpg
    667.3 KB · Views: 10

weiss

craigmorris74 said:
I want with two Stancor WF-30s, which are pretty much the same as your utc's.  I used the little box in the attached pic.

Looking great :) First time i hear about the wf30!
Haven't seen rack units yet. Are boxes more practical?

craigmorris74

weiss said:
I wish I would have put mine in a 1u rack with my passive monitor controller and direct box transformers to save space, but most that I've seen have been in little boxes like mine. 

These transformers make almost every individual source sound better when tracking.

weiss

craigmorris74 said:
I wish I would have put mine in a 1u rack with my passive monitor controller and direct box transformers to save space, but most that I've seen have been in little boxes like mine. 

These transformers make almost every individual source sound better when tracking.

Good to hear! Really excited to try this out. :)

mjrippe

weiss said:

https://analogaudiorepair.com/2013/06/29/transformer-saturation-box-wutc-davens/

weiss

mjrippe said:
https://analogaudiorepair.com/2013/06/29/transformer-saturation-box-wutc-davens/

yeah! thanks. Already checked it out  :)
Does it make sense to use a pot when only using one transformer per channel?

mjrippe

weiss said:
yeah! thanks. Already checked it out  :)
Does it make sense to use a pot when only using one transformer per channel?

Yes, if you want to send a hot signal to saturate the xfmr.  A Daven attenuator is made for specific impedances -600/600 in this case.  You can use a pot after the xfmr, but it may change the response.

Latest posts