XLR Barrel Q?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomWaterman

Hi, need to order some XLR barrels to make some mic pads...a lot of them.

Just wondering if anyone has used the Neutrik NA3FM adapters?
Looked at them on the website but can't see if they have a screw for opening and if they are easily rewired for the 3 resistors as they state they are prewired.

Stupid question but I need to order like 60 of them and figured I'd try you guys before Neutrik.

Switchcraft S3FM seems fine, wondered about the Neutrik. I assume they are fine but don't want to get a boatload without being sure.

Cheers Tom

I recently had to make up 4 microphone pads - and ordered the very barrel adapters that you are thinking of ordering (NA3FM).

DON'T.....!

They are assembled in such a way that they cannot (easily) be opened. Luckily I was able to return them for credit after an amusing discussion with the Distributor (and Neutrik UK) in an attempt to discover what the purpose of this adapter actually is.

I did ask how many they sold, knowing that the market for this valuable device must be limited. They thought I was probably their only Customer!

I would like to throw this open for discussion (remember that it has a male at one end and a female at the other end). What is it for?!!

The only thing that I have come up - is if you had a pair of mic cables to join together that were 50mm too short!

In the end I was able to fit the resistors into a cable mounted XLR connector - as it was an emergency job - but there are Neutrik square section extruded cases on which you can screw a normal 'D' type chassis mounting XLR at each end which would be good for making up pads and other in-line devices.

John

Aha!!!!

Thanks John you absolute diamond! I knew in my heart of hearts that was the case with these Neutriks. The switchcraft ones are fine but need to find a supplier that my company can buy from easily. My company has the most bassakwards buying structure in any organisation I ever seen.

I did see the extruded D cases but they will work out too costly with two XLRs on either end.

I don't feel so stupid asking now. LOL

I agree on the usage front. If they made them easy to work with they could be whatever you wanted them to be, inverter or pad etc...but if they are hard to open then they are pretty pointless IMO....unless you have short cables!

Hmm off to track down some Switchcrafts.
Cheers Tom

No worries Peter.

Neutrik D Adapters

210_602284489.jpg

-T

Thanks Tom, and indeed a good idea from Neutrik, but I saw even the TX-less models (I didn't see any 'empty shells') are still quite $$$... while all we'd need is a simple shell and add the connector-type we need ourselves.

OK, a simple Hammond-'MXR-style'-box will do as well.

Regards

edit - Wait, this is another story, here we have single digit prices, like for instance this one:

http://www.mercateo.com/p/139-4632497/SPEAKON_TO_XLR_F_SOCK_ADAPT_Typ_NA4MP_F.html

OK right - I didn't realise - do they not sell the extrusions on their own? Or even do a M-F XLR one without wiring?

Canford seem to stock a M-F XLR barrel of their own which is available unwired at about £6 each...

Think that should be OK.
-T

[quote author="TomWaterman"]OK right - I didn't realise - do they not sell the extrusions on their own? Or even do a M-F XLR one without wiring?

Canford seem to stock a M-F XLR barrel of their own which is available unwired at about £6 each...

Think that should be OK.
-T[/quote]

As far as I could see they're all populated in some way, so if it's about having a Neutrik it's a matter of getting the cheapest and adding own D-types (or check if some TX-less type gets you already going with present XLR's).

I have some ??-brand barrels but I'm looking for a bit more circuitry to add, so those Neutriks might be just the ticket.
I'll check Canford and also how much space I really need for that circuit.

Bye,

Peter

Latest posts

Back