Yamaha M406 Direct Outs?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elbows

I had seen - a while ago - some threads about modifying the M406's six pres to have direct outputs. I was hoping someone might still have some information about this? Thanks!

I'm trying to do the same thing with my unit. Can anyone help out with this ???
I have one I'm about to do the same with. I have a Tamura output transformer for all 6 channels also (Matching the 2 currently in there. I bought 4 more to match it). I'll get you any info I put together once I'm done with mine.

I have one I'm about to do the same with. I have a Tamura output transformer for all 6 channels also (Matching the 2 currently in there. I bought 4 more to match it). I'll get you any info I put together once I'm done with mine.
Thank you , you're the best. This would be amazing to happen. I plan on using them as just preamps for my DAW so I'll have no need for the summing portion of the M406.Please send pictures if you could as well. I know there are a few people on here as well as other forums looking to do the same thing .

Thank you , you're the best. This would be amazing to happen. I plan on using them as just preamps for my DAW so I'll have no need for the summing portion of the M406.Please send pictures if you could as well. I know there are a few people on here as well as other forums looking to do the same thing .
Sure. I'm doing one I have had for a few years to sell. I'll do pics and a thread for it. I've seen quite a few that are interested.

I am very interested in info on modding the M406. I saw one where a tech had added a phantom power switch to each channel, direct outs (with switches that determine whether each channel goes to the master section or direct out) and modified the EQ to be more "usable."

Hey guys. Sorry I've been swamped with sessions lately. I'm about to start on the 406 though. Should be in the next week or so. I'll keep you posted.

hi, here's a schematic and layout I did for myself (hopefully useful) :

Attachments

• Yamaha M406 INP CH schematic (redrawn M916 schematic).jpg
    Yamaha M406 INP CH schematic (redrawn M916 schematic).jpg
    1 MB · Views: 19
  • Yamaha M406 mic input channel PCB layout.jpg
    Yamaha M406 mic input channel PCB layout.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 17
Hi- I am trying to add Direct Outs to an M406. Fairly new to modifying gear, but I have plenty of experience soldering. Just have a few questions.

I'd like to add 1/4" outputs to the back of the unit. Don't care about the summing section of the mixer, though it would be nice to be able to see the VU meters move still if I want to have a visual representation of what is happening on some of the channels. It seems IC3 is around area that could be "jumped" from to maintain EQ function as well as individual output control. Am I correct?

Where is the best point on the PCB to solder to for the leads of the 1/4" output jack?

I checked out the original M406 schematic as well as the modified schematic above and it looks like if you wanted to bypass the master section all you would need to do is just solder three (-,+,ground) wires to (not sure of the point on the pcb?) and attach that to a 1/4" jack. Is that correct? I have seen online that it helps to solder a 33k resistor in line. What would that resistor be used for? Do I really need one there?

Anything helps! Thanks!

-Cameron

Thanks for the schema. I'm FINALLY about to pull it off the shelf and get to building and recapping. I'll be completely recapping the unit as well as adding a direct out and transformer for each EQ. Hopefully in the next few weeks I'll have some updates and pics.

Took me forever to finally get to this but I just opened up my unit yesterday to check it out so that I could begin the work. Channel 5 is the only one not working for me. I have 6 output transformers that I'll be using. (2 within the unit and 4 duplicates I bought on eBay. Including initial pics. I'll be going through on Friday diagnosing channel 5 to fix it. Then, I'll add in the outputs with the mounted transformers.

Attachments

• IMG_3871.jpg
    IMG_3871.jpg
    304.2 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_3872.jpg
    IMG_3872.jpg
    284.3 KB · Views: 3

Latest posts

Back