Yamaha M508 Repair and Mod Project

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrummerMic

Hello!

Recently purchased a M508 and right off the bat need to fix the L PGM; not working/ no audio output.
1.) What is the best way to go about troubleshooting this?
Run a signal through the board and track it? I do not think I have the equipment to do it; unless it just takes a multi-meter???

2.) Looking to mod Direct Outs and I am wondering about converting the SUB Ins to Channel Inserts? I assume its possible but have no idea
what all would be involved. If its too complicated....it was just a thought.

3.) Everything besides the PGM L works/sounds great but I have also read that re-capping old gear like this is a smart move. Would it be worth the effort or....if it aint broke, dont fix with it?

Any help or insights would be much appreciated!!!😁

IMG_0483.jpgIMG_0484.jpgIf there is anyone out there that can help, it would be most appreciated! Thanks!

In answer to ONE of your questions, I wouldn't bother to re-cap it. Yamaha used good quality, long lasting capacitors. I tested a lot of capacitors that I changed in a PM-1000 this year (at the owner's request) and I didn't find a single one that was off spec.

Thanks Ike!
Yeah, the caps look like they are in good shape or at least nothing is blatantly blown out.
I am currently trying research testing the caps and I know I can do it in place by do not have the
right meter.

I hope that the problem with the Left channel is just a bad cap. Fingers crossed!!!

Thanks Ike!
Yeah, the caps look like they are in good shape or at least nothing is blatantly blown out.
I am currently trying research testing the caps and I know I can do it in place by do not have the
right meter.

I hope that the problem with the Left channel is just a bad cap. Fingers crossed!!!
I doubt that it's a cap, but it could be... Common issues with phenolic circuit boards are cracked / broken traces, particularly around connectors, so you could look for that. It looks like there may be enough cable length that you could (carefully) swap headers between L&R sections and see if you can narrow down where the fault is occurring. I think the Black/White/Orange connections are the faders, so you could swap those and see if you have a bad fader in PGM-L. You could also try rocking that 47/25 cap next to that connector and see if it has a bad solder joint. Gently rock it from side-to-side (the white negative terminal is a "side"...all caps will rock in the top-to-bottom orientation, which will eventually break the leads off, so don't). If it has a soldering issue, one lead will move in-and-out of the board.

After further inspection, I found that it is the R PGM that is having the issue. There is a loud hum (constant) and there is audio, it is just very quite. Would indicate a bad ground somewhere?
I also found what looks to be corrosion around TR13/14/5/&1 on the DC C. Board. Is that normal or
could that be a potential issue?

Ike, you are correct about the Black/White/Orange connections and I "rocked" the caps but everything feels solid. Swapped C7 & C9 to check faders; meters move and faders fade.
Any thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_0487.jpg
    IMG_0487.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0488.jpg
    IMG_0488.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 12
That's thermal compound, not corrosion and it's supposed to be there. It's a bit messy, which indicates that transistor may have been replaced at one point, or at least messed with. Hum is more likely a failed component than a ground issue.

That's thermal compound, not corrosion and it's supposed to be there. It's a bit messy, which indicates that transistor may have been replaced at one point, or at least messed with. Hum is more likely a failed component than a ground issue.

Ok, it seems as though the issue is just with the R PGM.
The Channels, Sends, and L PGM sound great; nice and clean imho but
you can hear the hum in the headphones as well....

If the issue is with the R PGM then would it make sense to focus
on the LA C board or could that issue be caused from any component
anywhere on the board failing?

Just am wondering if there is some electrical deductive logic a more
experienced person would use to troubleshoot.
You can probably tell I am new to this!

Thank you again Ike for your insight!

Latest posts

Back